Ignition Coil Replace or Reuse? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replacing plugs on a '03 LC. Did the (easy) passenger side first. Two of them are definitely cracked. The others look like a seam from the manufacturing process is widening. Pics below.

Looking for guidance on which ones should be replaced. Has anyone had success with non-Denso aftermarket? Denso are $122/ea. Ouch.

Thanks!
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg
IMG_0317.jpeg

I would not use them if cracked- that’s misfire waiting to happen. Dont waste your $$ in aftermarket coils.

Denso are usually about $55 ea- at various on where are you seeing them at $122- just beware of knock-offs

Here’s a link to Denso distributor- $59 ea

Thanks, abuck99! So the widening "seams" that run lengthwise down the coil are cracks, correct?

The truck has 182,000. PO had plugs changed at 105,000 when TB was done. I suppose it's time.

Nice $$ find on the Denso site. Autozone, Napa, etc. are at least double. o_O

I buy mine off Amazon... $55 shipped. They are EXACT replacements for OEM. I haven't had an issue in over 30,000 miles

Denso Replacement Coils

Dang! I just bought 4 from Toyota at $113 each. Good to know that these are an EXACT match. Though I don't know when I will see another issue. I am replacing three that have a crack or split seem, and putting one in my spares kit. Only cylinder one is throwing a code right now, and I cannot see in the carfax when the PO's last changed spark plugs, so at 408,000 I am changing plugs and addressing the weaker coils. The other coils look great, it seems that the corners are getting the most wear/damage.

I can confirm the Amazon-purchased coils are 100% authentic and work great.

FYI, Amazon limits the number of coils you can order to 6. Had to log in via my wife's account to get the other two ;). Silly.

Thank goodness for wive’s with accounts right?! Come on Amazon, get it together.

I replaced 3 with cracks early this year as a precaution and kept them as spares. Low and behold, last month I had a misfire and it was one with no cracks…still likely had 275k miles on it. A cracked one went in its place with no issue until I got a new Denso.

The way those sit in the tubes I doubt the cracks would result in a misfire. I even thought about just sealing the crack with gasket maker, but then just spent the money and now have spares.

Has anyone else come across the situation of ordering 90919-02230 and receiving 90919-02259 for the coil part number? The online parts department for my local dealer is a little confusing, in that it tells me that this part is for the 2004-2007, but also that this part is no longer available. Yet there is no message of "non availability" when I looked up and bought the 02230 which is specified for my '99. The guy at the parts counter that answered my call assured me that 02230 was replaced by 02259.

For those that have done this recently with Toyota parts for a UJZ can you tell me what part number you received? Not sure if I can believe the guy at the counter when he contradicts the website, but I don't believe everything I read on the internet either.

Denso is owned by Toyota, however, Denso with Toyota label are far superior than just denso marked product: An example: Denso-Toyota Alternator easily last 220+ K miles but just Denso marked alternator (present in most other Japanese and some European vehicles) last about 100K miles.

I installed the 02259 Toyota coil in my ‘99, which is spec on the 2004-07 LC, and cleared the code yesterday. There doesn’t seem to be an issue this far, with just a little bit of driving around town.

Really risky buying “OEM” parts especially coils and even more risky sparkplugs on Amazon or Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom