Ignition Coil Boots Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was helping a friend with his hard to diagnose misfire symptoms.
The pictures of seemingly good ignition coil boot and what it really is after 155k miles.

I change them with every spark plug change. And I would add heater hose T to the same schedule...

I have used Denso and Beck Arnley boots with success in past.

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Denso 671-8184 Ignition Wire is the kit I have used this time.

Last edited:
Denso 671-8184 Ignition Wire

1573276573910.png

Does this fit on 2004 models? autozone website says it fits 2003, but not 2004...
I'm looking for Denso boots + rings. I've seen NGK and Beck/Arney boots that fit.

Last edited:
To insert the new springs easier and without damaging them you can make a small simple little tool tool out of a piece of brass tubing from the hobby shop. Get a diameter that just fits inside the spring, cut a fine slot in the end about an 1/8th of an inch deep for the tail of the spring to fit into. Insert the spring with the tube attached into the coil hole then twist the tube and spring in the wind up direction. This reduces the diameter of the spring and it allows it to easily pop right in and seat.

Cut the tube down to about 2 inches long and keep it with your spare coil parts for trail repairs.

That Denso kit was what I used for my 05.

Do these look ok? Thinking that that boots/o-ring are probably original, plugs may be too as the one I pulled was SUPER tight in there, to the point I pulled the ratchet to make sure I was turning the right direction...
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Why ask?

U have 'em out. Labor is typically the most expensive portion of auto servicing & you wont save there by putting old in.

Double bonus, u have spares that work in case of field repairs.

Been reading up on these this morning as I've been losing a new cylinder each month since September/October. 2 plugs and coils replaced, 6 to go. Rockauto has the Denso 673-1303 for about $50 but found the 8 pack of boots, springs and O-rings (part # denso 671-8184 for my 99 LX470) ... could I literally just buy the 8 pack 671-8184 and just rebuild each coil as they go bad and avoid spending $50-80 every time one goes out? I also kept the two coils that went "bad" already - could I rebuild those and have as field spares? Really curious

Been reading up on these this morning as I've been losing a new cylinder each month since September/October. 2 plugs and coils replaced, 6 to go. Rockauto has the Denso 673-1303 for about $50 but found the 8 pack of boots, springs and O-rings (part # denso 671-8184 for my 99 LX470) ... could I literally just buy the 8 pack 671-8184 and just rebuild each coil as they go bad and avoid spending $50-80 every time one goes out? I also kept the two coils that went "bad" already - could I rebuild those and have as field spares? Really curious
I suppose that would work if the only thing that went wrong with the coil was the boot. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

each time mine have gone bad, I've gone ahead and replaced both the coil and the spark plug on whichever cylinder needs it.. should I just be replacing one or the other? or am I doing the right thing by doing both each time? o_O

each time mine have gone bad, I've gone ahead and replaced both the coil and the spark plug on whichever cylinder needs it.. should I just be replacing one or the other? or am I doing the right thing by doing both each time? o_O
Spark plugs are more of a maintenance item and coils are more of something that you replace as they go bad. I would change all of your spark plugs at once and then address coils as they go bad. I did plugs and all the coil boots at the same time. Loose spark plugs and age can cause the boots to deteriorate while the coils may still be good.

What I've seen most often when working on other folks vehicles is spark plugs aren't checked and have backed out a little bit over 80-100k. This results in hot gasses escaping and in the best case drying out the coil pack boot. In worst cases its almost destroyed the coil pack and also damaged the plug.

I had a plug start working its way out last year at about 50k of use. Luckily I caught it (sounded like a very small exhaust leak so I started investigating) and only the boot on the coil pack needed to be replaced as it had dried out and split.

These boot kits and springs are cheap enough to replace that it just makes sense to do when you're doing plugs. A cracking isolator boot could increase resistance or in a worst case arcing to the tube. More importantly than this stuff though is to just make a note to check your plug torque at 30k service intervals when you're doing everything else. It takes 10 minutes.

What I've seen most often when working on other folks vehicles is spark plugs aren't checked and have backed out a little bit over 80-100k. This results in hot gasses escaping and in the best case drying out the coil pack boot. In worst cases its almost destroyed the coil pack and also damaged the plug.

I had a plug start working its way out last year at about 50k of use. Luckily I caught it (sounded like a very small exhaust leak so I started investigating) and only the boot on the coil pack needed to be replaced as it had dried out and split.

These boot kits and springs are cheap enough to replace that it just makes sense to do when you're doing plugs. A cracking isolator boot could increase resistance or in a worst case arcing to the tube. More importantly than this stuff though is to just make a note to check your plug torque at 30k service intervals when you're doing everything else. It takes 10 minutes.
On that note, when you change out your plugs, you should up the fsm torque spec by 3-5ft lbs to be safe. Then check every so often (36k miles or so) to make sure they aren't loose. They are long life plugs so they are often neglected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom