Igniter Repair for Cheapskates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My mechanic just installed a gm part on top of the coil igniter, similar to the one in the photo earlier in this thread. I was worried about the heat build up I read about here. He told me that it’s not going to be a problem here, at 7,500’, high in the Colorado mountains. Like right now, it’s sunny and clear, and about 35 degrees. I never drive my rig outside of the valley I live in, and never longer than about 45 minutes max, just to town and back, 14 miles each way. I guess I’ll find out next summer when it’s warmer. But to the point of the thread: the gm work around part works fine. Mechanic said he looked around on the web, found a Toyota repair site(?), called me and said the only oem part was used, and $300 or more. It’s tire changing season here and he had a lot of other, more urgent work. Also he had to order diodes from somewhere, which took like 3 weeks to get here. Long story short is I am glad to have the old rig running. Only weird thing was it was idling way too high, but I know how to adjust idle speed. Unfortunately for me, I don’t know much about electrical stuff.

View attachment 3154648
How long have you been going to this mechanic? I ask because, well, I'm just going to be blunt: That looks like a serious hack job. Those terminals are going to oxidize and corrode in very short order and cause you problems, the crimps are barely there and I'm sure you could easily pull the wire from the terminals with very little force, and once the weather warms up again I will be shocked if that unit's useful life isn't severely reduced.

Yes I admit I'm a perfectionist/elitist when it comes to electrical work, but I honestly would've lit up someone who did a job on my truck that was left looking like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom