If you had to buy a TRUCK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm thinking I "now" require a heavy duty truck. To schlep around things that are easily moved by vehicles considerably less assigned to this business, yet made much easier by a truck that can handle considerable weight.

The idea of a Dodge Power Wagon ( in particular ), Dodge 2500, or Chevy/Ford 2500 are also of interest. No diesel debate please. Strictly gas, since it's less than a weekend warrior and full towable pay load is probably 4000lb or less. I can handle the couple inconsequential trips a year on gas with the 100 or the 200. This is strictly a non necessary want (since i've reviewed the dodge power wagon) so petro powered only please.

Since the value and experience of this group can't be stated strongly enough, I'm asking for the collectives insights on which you think is the best option. 4x4, new.

Sounds like your needs are limited, why not rent?

Our 200 or even 100 easily gets the job done. It's been a trailer here and there for a sick parent for some time. I'm just looking for something different. Maybe the toll of things is speaking rather than logic.

Why new?

Well stay away from the 3/4 ton gasser ram. It got really bad ratings.

I would agree. For the amount you would use it let someone else eat the deprecation. There are a ton of used big trucks out there that have never been used for work. Grab one of those.

Jim

What do you plan to haul and/or tow?
How far and how often towing?
How many passengers will you typically carry?

All other things being equal, do you want it to ride like a truck or a sports car?

IMHO the Power Wagon stands alone as the clear choice. It has no competition. It's the only gas powered 3/4 ton 4x4 with lockers, which makes it the coolest HD on the block. The only caveat would be to only own one under warranty. It ain't no Toyota. Cool video you might like.

I got a bit of stars in my eyes reading about power wagons. On paper and i'm sure in the rough, they are all business but I've had Toyota's for ever and they've been nothing short of stellar. Next challenge is to get the wife fully on board.

Owned a Ram, one word NO!!!!! My Tundra is kind of unstoppable.

Those guys didnt air down much-obviously they have never driven a 40. If I didnt air down I would have had kidney trouble long ago...............

After owning several Dodge trucks, I knew the obvious choice was also a Tundra for my needs. Just picked up a CPO 2014 and couldn't be happier with it. Notice it's also the official CSC approved color...:rofl:

20170621_190943.jpg

Last edited:
X2, tundra with 5.7 and tow mode make a very nice towing experience, granted this wasn't the heaviest of loads, but it made the 800 miles feel pretty easy
2017-01-26 11.47.19.jpg

I loved my First-Gen Tundra with the 5.7 and tow package. It was just too big. I occasionally tow with my Tacoma and it does just fine. Now I don't tow car haulers or super large trailers but we drove all over Colorado last summer with a fully-loaded SoCal Teardrop and even over Monarch Pass did just fine. When I tow medium-sized UHauls it's great. It's no full-size ny any means just works well.

'nother white 2nd gen Tundra owner here. It is my 2nd one. Great trucks, power for days. IMO, great for towing (9K loads at 10,000ft Mtn passes are no problem). Only complaint is the fuel economy. More reliable than any domestic truck, and less maintenance than the average diesel.

IMG_20170626_183050683_HDR.jpg

If I could only get that 5.7 400 horse V8 in my 80, I could die happy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom