Idiot YouTubber Botches GX460 Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Regarding the "stink-bug" stance, how is it when you're all loaded up with family and gear (or a Costco shopping trip)?
The stiffer suspension on road is nice when you're on twisty roads, but it will take time to soften up more and especially if you plan on some armor.
I had one of my Icon shocks (front, left) blow out on me about a year over warranty. Had Off Road Warehouse rebuild it and again it blew out about a month after warranty. Fortunately they rebuilt it again on their nickel. Haven't had an issue since. :)
By the way, you are way more skilled and competent that you make yourself out to be with the projects you've undertaken. Either that or you have absolutely no fear of possible consequences when you delve into something!
I hold one up to you! :cheers:

"youtubber"

you tubby blubber, you

I feel your pain, just had similar issues when installing my new lift. I found removing the ball joint from the hub, not the LCA, allows the LCA to drop down enough to get the new coil over in. (Learned the hard way)
And definitly get some UCAs!!

I feel your pain, just had similar issues when installing my new lift. I found removing the ball joint from the hub, not the LCA, allows the LCA to drop down enough to get the new coil over in. (Learned the hard way)
And definitly get some UCAs!!
Half assed install video coming soon.
image.jpg

Last edited:
In this weeks episode we’ll watch Jake in over his head trying to install a Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift kit on his GX460. Grab a beer and your paint spattered jeans… We’re going to pretend to be mechanics for the next 15 minutes!

I feel your pain and a most excellent video....

For future reference, you could have saved a lot of headaches with your KDSS sway bar by following these instructions (instead of removing everything and then not disconnecting the sway bar):

• Reinstall Sway Bar Linkage:
    • This will require lowering the vehicle.
    • Using screwdrivers as levers and while the vehicle is on the ground with wheels on, finesse the driver's side linkage in, you may want to use a 6 point socket with a very long extension to finagle the inner linkage mount straight.
    • Then jack up the passenger side, and only the passenger side.
    • Then use a floor jack to compress the sway bar under the sway bar spring/damper (look for the rubber boot) on the driver's side):
      • This will allow the passenger sway bar linkage to lower and be levered back into the linkage seat, wheels must be straight.
      • This will also take some patience and finagling, but it does fit back in without much force. Keep in mind you can lightly lever the bushing around with a 6 point socket and long extension to get the right angle for final fitment, like the drivers side.
    • Lower the passenger side.
    • Torque both sway bar linkage bolts to 89 ft. lbs.

Great vid Jake! Hopefully you'll be getting that free Yaris soon :D

Reinstall Sway Bar Linkage:
Sounds pretty similar to what we did to get it reconnected. We started on the passenger and used 2 floor jacks under the LCA's since I couldn't easily put the wheels back on at that point. I think when I do the control arms in the fall I'll just drop the skids and take the entire IFS system apart so I'm comfortable with it.

I wish I could have done what I did with our 3rd gen 4runner. After I got the suspension installed I realized the front was too high. I did the "truck as a spring compressor" method to pull the shock out with top hat still bolted into the tower. Just unbolt the lower ball joint with the LCA supported by a floor jack and then slowly let off the pressure. Would have been even easier to change the whole strut. I'm not sure how that would work on a GX though because the 4runner had sway bar end links that easily unfastened at full droop.

Well....
There goes this month's Costco shopping budget for your family! :p
Truth be told… they hooked me up fter hearing me whine in the last video.

Here’s what cut down the ice cream budget slightly.

Lexus doesn’t hook up idiot youtubers… but I’ll still make a video and a bunch of s***ty jokes cause I love y’all.

972F2D21-D42C-44F3-9DF3-F8ADA9E23DE2.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Jake, one thing I don't like about your channel is that you don't pump out more videos and more frequently. :) Keep up the great work!

Love the channel great work, and your funny as hell!! Would you recommend this lift or would it be over kill for a faker! I have no intention of ever going off-road, or adding any heavy off road gear. I do love the look of a 2-3” lift with some wild peak tires. I admit watching guys videos does look fun as hell but I’m the guy that parks at the farthest possible spot to avoid door dings. So yes the thought of driving through mud and or branches in Lexxy gives me a panic attack!!!

Love the channel great work, and your funny as hell!! Would you recommend this lift or would it be over kill for a faker! I have no intention of ever going off-road, or adding any heavy off road gear. I do love the look of a 2-3” lift with some wild peak tires. I admit watching guys videos does look fun as hell but I’m the guy that parks at the farthest possible spot to avoid door dings. So yes the thought of driving through mud and or branches in Lexxy gives me a panic attack!!!
Thanks! Well… if I wasn’t going offroad but wanted it to look off roady, Id just get a set of KO2’s and get some sliders. The fcp’s ride great on or offroad though.

In this weeks episode we’ll watch Jake in over his head trying to install a Ironman Foam Cell Pro lift kit on his GX460. Grab a beer and your paint spattered jeans… We’re going to pretend to be mechanics for the next 15 minutes!

I might be doing this same upgrade.

For the front coil over assembly, could you have dropped the lower spring perch to reduce the length of the shock assembly for install, then put the spring perch back to desired ride height?

Also how stretched are the rear brake lines? Are extended rears needed?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom