Identifying ARB air locker o-ring issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The seal housing o-rings aren't always the source of the leak. I've had one where the bonded seal internal to the housing failed. That's the part that pushes the clutch gear and if it leaks it can't build pressure to overcome the spring force. I'm not sure which ARB model is depicted above, but the bonded seal would be #3 on that diagram. You have to separate the case to replace it. Usually less than $30 part. Just something else to keep in mind. Good luck.

Agree, it's a pain.

The seal housing o-rings aren't always the source of the leak. I've had one where the bonded seal internal to the housing failed. That's the part that pushes the clutch gear and if it leaks it can't build pressure to overcome the spring force. I'm not sure which ARB model is depicted above, but the bonded seal would be #3 on that diagram. You have to separate the case to replace it. Usually less than $30 part. Just something else to keep in mind. Good luck.

The one pictured above is from a 14 bolt, couldn't find a pic of ours. That would suck if it's #3...my front locker has leaked for a while now, and is finally to the point it won't lock and I can feel air coming out the diff breather. I've been putting it off until I had another reason to pull the axles. I have had a lot of problems with air lockers...maybe it's time to swap it with a lock right or something more reliable.

Air_Locker_tech.jpg

ARB_moving.gif

I too have had the front locker pushing oil up the pipe. After many e-mails to ARB, and at least 6 times strip and replace, any and every seal O-ring and quod seal nothing fixed the problem.
I do believe there is a reason for the toyota factory front diff breather to have what looks like a vapor catcher on it.
I think there is something with the diffs themselves. My rear one has never done it and I have replaced the inner piston seals twice on the rear. Even when they were shot in the rear it never pushed oil out at the compressor.

I too have had the front locker pushing oil up the pipe. After many e-mails to ARB, and at least 6 times strip and replace, any and every seal O-ring and quod seal nothing fixed the problem.
I do believe there is a reason for the toyota factory front diff breather to have what looks like a vapor catcher on it.
I think there is something with the diffs themselves. My rear one has never done it and I have replaced the inner piston seals twice on the rear. Even when they were shot in the rear it never pushed oil out at the compressor.
In mine its the rear one
Oil capture bottle is a last resort
Wish Id known about this before choosing to install ARBs

My orings leak when they are cold, 18 today and it leaks, doesn't in the summers. Compressor cycles when rear is engaged. Pulling the breather on the rear diff, air is flowing out. Read back in 2006 people were using pb blaster to condition the seal and remove and vapor that may be in there. Haven't tried yet, may later today

I had ARB in my LR Discovery, rear one regularly had oil in the air line. IIRC it was the diff breather line I found kinked thst later caused problems with the 'O' rings? So don't just look for the leak, find out what caused it in the first place. Never had an issue with the front.

I must say though they worked when needed, and I never broke one even under competition conditions.

My avatar shows me at the Land Rover gig in Lorca Murcia, hard day but the Disco came out on top, picked up the trophy, jet washed it off...drove home.

Regards

Dave

I finally got around to repairing the leak. It was what I thought. The new X-rings are supposed to be better in extreme cold and seal better overall. Also replaced the inner axle seals and the driver side spindle, and installed Trail Gear locking spindle nuts. The TG lock nuts are only for use in rigs with selectable hubs, as they don't clear the standard hub parts. My driver side wheel bearings would get loose every 2500 miles or so, mostly because of a worn spindle that allowed the outer bearing to spin on the spindle and eat up the thrust washer, leaving the nut loose. It took me 8 hours to complete, but I'm tired boss.

Lifting that front third member into place by yourself should be on Olympic event. I'm as strong as two oxen and it still made me grunt.

29101853_10160649059390131_2846234402827010048_n.jpg

29066732_10160647705910131_3698276238415101952_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom