Ideas for diagnosing ignition problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey friend,

I have had similar issues, and I threw parts at the problem. The end result was new parts on an ignition system that still didn't work until.........I got the points correct.

I am not familiar with accuspark. But, if you have points, check the following:

1. Get new points
2. Just because they are new they still may not work. So, make sure they line up perfectly even if u have to bend them slightly.
3. With fine grit sand paper, go over the points contact surfaces.
4. Spend some time and set the gap correctly.

This is a highly frustrating problem, I understand. I am no master mechanic, just an individual who has several service manuals, likes to read, and spends time on this forum.......so take my advice with that in mind.

Above all, hang in there. You will get it.

C.

Ahhh, just re read initial post......electronic ignition.........well, I'm still pulling for you. Btw pin and Austin are great, they helped me through my problem until it was resolved!

Last edited:
It did indeed need to go clockwise a tad. It now starts, runs and runs smoother than it ever has before. That's probably due to a combination of a much better IC, sparkplugs, etc. as well as adjusting the timing. Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

So how do I know that I've gotten the timing as good as it can be? I've adjusted it to what sounds like a good position when it's both idling and revving. I also know that the distributor hasn't moved at all in the time I've owned it because I've always had to remove the dipstick to get at the left screw for the clip that holds the cap on. Perhaps it slipped a tooth while I was working on it recently?

Sig191144: I hear you on the parts thing. I have two spare ICs sitting here now. I'm also pretty sure that I've burnt through the electronic ignition module so I bought new points and condenser. I'd thrown so many parts at this thing that it was time to try all the hard stuff. So far it seems like a combination of everything has worked out!

Last edited:
Naturally, the dramas never end.

I haven't gotten around to adjusting the timing yet. I did think about taking it for a drive but a nice backfire put paid to that idea.

When I went out to have a look at it tonight, the starter motor started smoking every time I tried to start it. The solenoid feels extremely hot. I'm guessing the main battery lead is earthing on it somehow when it's starting. Not overjoyed about that, I guess I'll pull it out and take it to bits again.

On the plus side, for the first time in about 30 years it has Landcruiser badges.

Is it normal for a new solenoid to smoke as it settles in? I have a feeling the starter motor is shorting or doing something it shouldn't and the solenoid is just the highest point of resistance. It turns over when I start it, but not very enthusiastically even on a full battery charge. I'm definitely thinking short circuit in the starter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom