Icon wheel offset question...I know, I know. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've done anything new to my truck, so I've decided to finally pull the trigger on some new wheels, and it just so happens, AncientMariner recently posted the exact wheels I want on my same color LC, so thanks for letting me steal your pic! I've still got the stock 18x8 wheels with 285/70/18 Ridge Grapplers, so I guess the closest size available for Icon is 18x9, which I assume is fine. My question is about the backspacing. I've got the Spidertrax 1.25" spacers on now, and I like the amount the tires stick out, so I want to keep that look. Should I just go with the closest backspace they have to the stock, which for the Icon Rebound is a 25, or would you remove the spacers and get a negative offset wheel? Also, thoughts on the bronze with a gray truck?

The Rebound at +25mm is 3.25mm further out then your current setup with 1.25" spacers (effective offset of 1.25" spacer and stock 60mm wheel is +28.25). I think you are getting the math backwards somewhere. You should run the ICON with no spacer. Since the wheel is 1" bigger, you will also be 25.4/2mm going each direction., but that's just at the wheel. Ultimately the tire width will decide the clearances.

EDIT: I posted at the same time as above. Agree with him but below is the math.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Stock LC200 18" offset is 60mm.
You are running a 1.25" = 31.75mm spacer.
Essentially running a 60-31.75= +28.25 mm offset.
Shoot for +25 offset, take the spacers off and you'll be close to what you like. This will make you 0.13" farther out than you are now.

Bronze on gray is cool.

Any pictures of your setup? How was the rubbing with those?

@TroutRunner is correct, the backspacing is basically the same with +25 offset wheels as with factory wheels and 1.25" spacers. If you use the Icons you should take off the spacers.

If you're not sure about the wheels, there are some websites that will show you various wheels on a virtual vehicle. You could also try to use Photoshop (or Paint) to "put" them on a picture of your truck.

Gray wheels always look good. Bronze really depends on the vehicle color, trim, etc and is more of a personal taste. My worthless $0.02.

Also, one other note, Lots of people run the 17" versions of the ICONs. I don't have any thoughts on which is better, just throwing out an option. Like for like 17" tires are usually cheaper and for off road they say more rubber and less wheel is better.

Just a quick google, looks like you'd save about $70 a corner going the 17" if you were doing ICONs and KO2s. That would be almost getting a free matching spare.

Also, one other note, Lots of people run the 17" versions of the ICONs. I don't have any thoughts on which is better, just throwing out an option. Like for like 17" tires are usually cheaper and for off road they say more rubber and less wheel is better.

Just a quick google, looks like you'd save about $70 a corner going the 17" if you were doing ICONs and KO2s. That would be almost getting a free matching spare.
True, I went with 17s because there were a lot more 34" options (285/75R17 vs 285/70R18).

The Rebound at +25mm is 3.25mm further out then your current setup with 1.25" spacers (effective offset of 1.25" spacer and stock 60mm wheel is +28.25). I think you are getting the math backwards somewhere. You should run the ICON with no spacer. Since the wheel is 1" bigger, you will also be 25.4/2mm going each direction., but that's just at the wheel. Ultimately the tire width will decide the clearances.
Okay, duh...you're right, I had it reversed about how I was thinking about it, and I hadn't thought about the tire width. So, the stock wheel has an offset of 35mm and the Icon is 25, and the spacers are 32mm. So, if I were to go with the Icon at 25mm offset and leave the spacers on (just for arguments sake here), being that the wheel is 25mm wider than stock, it would actually stick out 40mm more than what I have now? But if I go with the 25mm offset (which is actually the only option from Icon) and get rid of the spacers, it will be about where it is now (in by about 10mm)? I'm sticking with the 285/70/18's because that's what I'm running now, and the tires are less than a year old.
Oh, and I posted a couple pictures in my original post...or rather stole them from AncientMariner. That's exactly what my setup will look like.

Okay, duh...you're right, I had it reversed about how I was thinking about it, and I hadn't thought about the tire width. So, the stock wheel has an offset of 35mm and the Icon is 25, and the spacers are 32mm. So, if I were to go with the Icon at 25mm offset and leave the spacers on (just for arguments sake here), being that the wheel is 25mm wider than stock, it would actually stick out 40mm more than what I have now? But if I go with the 25mm offset (which is actually the only option from Icon) and get rid of the spacers, it will be about where it is now (in by about 10mm)? I'm sticking with the 285/70/18's because that's what I'm running now, and the tires are less than a year old.
Oh, and I posted a couple pictures in my original post...or rather stole them from AncientMariner. That's exactly what my setup will look like.

almost correct. You won’t be 10mm in from where you are now, you’ll be about 3mm further out than you are now without spacers with the icon wheels. However, your Icon wheel is also wider which will make the wheel stick out even further. This doesn’t equate perfectly as the tire size is the same. If you look at @kreiten, he’s running 18x9 +20 offset, no spacers.

almost correct. You won’t be 10mm in from where you are now, you’ll be about 3mm further out than you are now without spacers with the icon wheels. However, your Icon wheel is also wider which will make the wheel stick out even further. This doesn’t equate perfectly as the tire size is the same. If you look at @kreiten, he’s running 18x9 +20 offset, no spacers.
Gotcha, thanks for all the replies.

The wider wheel won't affect the total tire width. The tire is wider than the rim. A 34x11.5" tire will be 11.5" wide whether it's on an 8" rim on a 9" rim.

It will affect how square (or how much bulge) the tire has, and can have a minor impact on clearance around the UCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom