ICON Shocks with Dobinsons Rear Springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have recently bought a use set of suspension off a friend. Front 2.5 ICON Coil Overs and Rear 2.0 w/ Remote Reservoir. It only had 5000 miles and I bought it for $1,100. I felt like this was a great deal, too good to pass up.

I drive a 2005 GX470 w/ KDSS and I am aiming for a mild build. This is my daily driver, but I mainly take the subway to work, so its really a vehicle to take me on ski trips in the winter and overlanding in the summer. I don't plan to put a lot of miles on it annually, but most of my weekend trips do encompass 2-4 hours of highway driving before I get to my destination. Planned mods include: 2"/2.5' lift, larger tires (probably 31s), and rock sliders. I might add skids in the future, but no plans for a metal front/rear bumper. I had a few questions:

1. Will the current suspension I just bought be too stiff for daily driving and mild off roading?
2. I am thinking of the Dobinsons Rear Progressive Springs, since I will not have much weight in the back. Will this be an ideal spring set up? If not what do you recommend?
3. Should I forgo this suspension and buy something more mild? I understand ICONs are aimed towards individuals that do a lot of off roading.

Thank you!

I don’t think this Icon suspension will be too stiff for you. The front looks normal and has normal springs.

the rear shocks look good too.

I’ve never owned an Icon suspension, but based on my research you are fine with this suspension.

You might need to get new front UCAs if you lift about 2” with your Ivón suspension but that’s about it

Icons will be just fine. They ride really well on road. Nothing wrong with your ideas and choices.

I have Icon 2.0 w/RR and Dobinson 675V in the rear (6112 w/ 650lb springs in front) and it rides nicely on the road. I'd wager you would be happy with that combo.

Eventually I plan to upgrade to the longer travel Icons for "LT," but for now these are working well.

Torn between the Dobinson's Progressive 2" vs 3". If I plan to lift the front 2.5" which rear spring should I use? Also it states that it is a long travel spring, will that have any issues?

My Icon rear springs and, non-reservoir, shocks are a little "jittery" for me on the poor roads here in Lake Tahoe. The truck handles better on curves and rides super nice on smooth roads. Off road, small drops or going over rocks the compression and rebound is solid and inspires confidence. However, for me, given that the roads up her in the Sierras are constantly in a state of freeze and thaw, over half of the year, cause our roads to be very bad with uneven patches and irregularities every few yards. For me, the Icons gas shocks do not swallow up and smooth out small bumps like a non gas shocks.

I originally did the airbag conversion with 2" Icon springs first with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and I loved the ride that I could dial in. However, the Rancho's started to leak because they are only sized for up to a 1.5" lift. I replaced them with the matching Icon 2" shock and, again, I do not like the ride around town as my daily driver. You may love the ride.

Also, my TMJ Gold adjustable om my 80 Series, were much more adjustable to dial in the comfortable level (I) desired. I can't find TMJ, from Australia, for the 120 Series and the Rancho 9000's do not come in size for a 2" plus lift or I would have gone back to them.

Icons are beautifully made and rebuildable. They do have an adjustable version but they were a bit pricey for me.

Last edited:
@TahoeLX450 which model Icon shocks do you have in the rear?

@trumanmak the GX470 has a rake, so lifting 2.5” in the front and 2” in the rear may get you close to level. Another factor is how much your front is sagging will determine the actual lift in the front, and will determine how close to level you get. The 3” rear spring will most likely result in a rake

oh and the c59-675v rear coil will most likely only get you about 1.75” of lift on gx470 with the MT conversion kit. The advertised lift heights are for 4Runners.

Last edited:
@SIMKGX the LT icon rear shocks in the metal tech Lon travel kit Only come in IFP no RR. I’m not sure if that makes a difference for how it rides.

sometimes I wonder about just replacing all my shocks with Fox and go with linear valving shocks. I’m seeking the plush street driving feel and I don’t know who is a better at that....icon or fox in similar price categories

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom