Icon external reservoir exploded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was driving into a parking lot and heard a loud pop as I went up the curb. Shocks aren't that old but I did have this one rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. He didn't touch the external reservoir. He charged it to 150 psi. Any ideas?

KpwlVOC.jpg

That is definitely a unique failure. Who did the re-build on your shock? Did this happen after cycling the suspension a lot?

That is definitely a unique failure. Who did the re-build on your shock? Did this happen after cycling the suspension a lot?
A local shop that should know how to rebuild them did it. What's weird is that the suspension hasn't been cycled a lot since it was rebuilt. I've hardly been able to use the truck since then, just a few (longer) highway trips.

A shop that “should know how to rebuild them” should not have been the shop you had them serviced at. Unless they’re an approved ICON service center, the rebuild job the shop did will void your warranty.

If the shocks performed perfectly before getting rebuilt, then they fail after an (assumed) unauthorized shop worked on them, then that leads me to believe the shop messed something up. Im not ruling out a defective product on ICONs part, I just think it’s unlikely since the shocks performed flawlessly beforehand and only failed after being rebuilt and experiencing no off-road use.

A shop that “should know how to rebuild them” should not have been the shop you had them serviced at. Unless they’re an approved ICON service center, the rebuild job the shop did will void your warranty.

If the shocks performed perfectly before getting rebuilt, then they fail after an (assumed) unauthorized shop worked on them, then that leads me to believe the shop messed something up. Im not ruling out a defective product on ICONs part, I just think it’s unlikely since the shocks performed flawlessly beforehand and only failed after being rebuilt and experiencing no off-road use.
Yep, I knew that going into it. I also am lead to believe the shop messed something up.

But what I want to know specifically is if anyone has seen something like this happen before? If the bottom of the reservoir has exploded off upon compression. And if so, if they know why that happened.

Edit: For more context, this is the only shock I had rebuilt, as it started leaking after only 5k miles after being purchased brand new.

It looks like a retaining ring is still hanging on the cap. If the ring wasn't seated correctly, it could hold for a short time before letting loose. I've never had an Icon remote apart though so I could be wrong.

Yep, I knew that going into it. I also am lead to believe the shop messed something up.

But what I want to know specifically is if anyone has seen something like this happen before? If the bottom of the reservoir has exploded off upon compression. And if so, if they know why that happened.

Edit: For more context, this is the only shock I had rebuilt, as it started leaking after only 5k miles after being purchased brand new.

I suspect the reservoir was tampered / worked on. as @jim43 mentioned above, the retaining ring looks like its still handing on the cap that blew off. I agree that is was probable not seated properly and was just a matter of time before it let go.

If it started leaking after 5k, is there any reason why you didn't have Icon do the re-build?

I suspect the reservoir was tampered / worked on. as @jim43 mentioned above, the retaining ring looks like its still handing on the cap that blew off. I agree that is was probable not seated properly and was just a matter of time before it let go.

If it started leaking after 5k, is there any reason why you didn't have Icon do the re-build?
ICON does not do servicing in house anymore. Make sure you mail your stuff to a authorized place 2.0 / 2.5 / 3.0 Shock Rebuild Service & Upgrade Information | Icon Vehicle Dynamics -

I learned this was a common problem with Icons unfortunately and I needed the car running asap. I called all the official Icon rebuilders and their wait times were a bit too long. Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom