Icom IC-T8A two way radio programming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone familiar with Icom handhelds? I just bought one…

D09B6382-0903-4603-9504-C4959980E793.jpeg

Seller said he bought it, put it in a drawer, and never used it. He said it needed a battery, but when I looked closely it, I found it housed 3 AA batteries. They charged up just fine.

It’s similar in size to my Baofeng radio, but way more solid. Back when it was bought +/- 20 years ago, it the seller said it was an $800-1000 radio…. $50 seemed worth the gamble.

Looking for a programming cable to connect to the computer.

Also, PTT is giving me an ‘OFF’ message when depressed.

Last edited:
Well... I've tracked down a programming cable that should allow me to program it with chirp. As it stands right now, I can tune it just about any FM radio channel. After poking around a bit, I did find that it will allow transmission on certain frequencies. Which is fine with me at this time.

Low power is 0.5 watts and full power is 5.0 watts. It'd be interesting to see how the actual numbers compare to the Baofeng radios I have that are "higher" power. Most of what I've seen would indicate that the Baofeng ratings are 'optimistic'.

Most radio shops should have access to that software but there are also several options to buy…

To the limits of my ignorant knowledge 5w is the maximum a handheld can legally operate at. Seen some hokey-pokey about 8w handhelds... phooey!

To the limits of my ignorant knowledge 5w is the maximum a handheld can legally operate at. Seen some hokey-pokey about 8w handhelds... phooey!
I've got an "8w Baofeng" radio, but I'd lay odds that the Icom 5w radio will sound better at the same distance than the Baofeng.

Based on what I've seen online the Icom IC-T8A radio is programable using CHIRP software which is easily available online.

I have a f***pile of handheld and plug in radios from the multiple mines i've worked at. We should vote to make our local "electronics guru" @GTSSportCoupe our programmer and we can all have radios on the same frequencies!

Before I got my own Baofeng programming cable I borrowed his cable to program a couple radios before I bought a Radio that came with a cable.

I've got an Icom cable on the way that looks like it'll work with most Icom hand helds.

We'll have to compare notes one day... I'd like to have a rig mounted unit some day and/or one at the house. To actually use them as designed I'll need to take a HAM course... so far I've only had the training I got from BC Forrest Service when I worked for them.

I have a f***pile of handheld and plug in radios from the multiple mines i've worked at. We should vote to make our local "electronics guru" @GTSSportCoupe our programmer and we can all have radios on the same frequencies!

These days it seems I can barely find time to change my oil never mind actually get out somewhere that a radio can be useful. :bang: Hopefully these days will pass. And then yes, happy to figure out programming when I get there.

These days it seems I can barely find time to change my oil never mind actually get out somewhere that a radio can be useful. :bang: Hopefully these days will pass. And then yes, happy to figure out programming when I get there.
I’ve been in the same boat for a while… stupid busy. Hopefully it’ll settle down soon.

I’ve got a couple different Baofeng radios that we can copy across .

Couple people and myself purchased baofeng radios had them programmed, not very happy with the range on our trip up to Side Bay. Seemed like if any one went out of sight we lost contact, mind you it was a ride through the mountains. Not sure what would work better.?

Darren and I were getting 35-40 km range up north. Clear transmissions. We were surprised. I think I was 8-10 days without even thinking of charging it. Never did die. It’s got all the forestry and coded channels programmed in. And I’ve also got weather and RCMP

IMG_7038.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom