I wish my frame was rotten (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned my 97 Tacoma for the past five years. I have religously hosed off the frame during the winter. Now I find out that Toyota is offering 150% of the Kelly Blue Book value (excellent condition regardless of actual condition) to owners that have rust perforation in their frames. I should have been spraying it down with salt water instead of clean water. My frame is probably the best 97 frame I have seen in this area.

This would have work great for a down payment on a new Tundra :crybaby:

Flap disk + rock salt + ace badage = :D

FWI: the recall effects 1995 - 2000 Tacomas. They are supposed to be rotten in certain areas. My buddy who is a Toyota tech is suppsed to get me the full details and I will pass them along.

I just helped plate an ENTIRE 2001 taco the other day, cost the guy like $1800. Then we heard about the recall... :lol:

Jay, drive that thing down here on the beach for a couple summers, never wash it and youll have a new truck in NO time.

If its any consolation for him I think its only 95-00 trucks.

Don't think they will extend it to 40s. Or at least I hope not that would include all the 40s in New England and they would all get sent to the crusher :frown:

I decided to make and appointment with a local Toyota dealer just to check. Since I got my hopes up I had to check again and found that I have a soft spot in of the passenger side frame rail on the inside in front of the spring hanger. I put a small dent with minimal force. Hopefully the dealer will thing its enough.

I work at toyota and have failed about 45 trucks so far. If the frames dent in with minimal force, you need a bigger hammer and make a hole. It will pass is there are no holes found. If its a small hole it fails.

So should I make the hole or wait for them to make a hole?

So from the dealer standpoint are you looking to poke holes in the frame? It would make sense because many people would buy new trucks and that only benefits the dealer right?

Last edited:
One of my friends told me Toyota gave him $11,000 to fix his truck. $11,000!!!!! If this is true, I'm gonna murder that kid.

What year was the truck. Thats kinda what I would expect for the buy out

Took the truck in to get checked today. Looks like I will be truck shopping tomorrow.

taco frame

To people who are thinking of shopping for a Tacoma right now, know that not all 95 threw 99 trucks are covered. The dealer has a list of vin numbers that they will match up to see if the truck is covered. The sales person said it was from a certain factory. And this is a 15 year warranty so if you have a 1999 you would still have till 2014 to trade it into Toyota. I removed my factory rear diff lock on Thursday and left my 98 at Toyota on Friday. Waiting to hear how much I will get for it.

Yup looks like they were able to bust a hole. It wasn't all that bad but I'm not complaining. It looks like I should see about $11,800 and I only paid $7,000 5 years ago.

Got my offer today. $11,820 for a truck I paid $7,000 for five years ago. Not exactly a bad deal.

I gave my father my 95 taco last year to use as a plow truck. Has about 200k and is still in pretty good shape. He keeps it registered to run errands. Just for hoo's and ha's he took it to the dealer. Dealer said the frame looked perfect and should last another 13 years. That's what I get for washing the undercarriage. Man, I was convinced I was on my way to a new Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom