I want to come back, Rust issues (1 Viewer)

Is it worth buying

• no keep looking

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • buy it

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.auburn.edu
So long story short I sold my land cruiser a few years ago and now I want to get another one. I moved from Alabama to Ohio and found this horiable cancer that scares the bajesus out of me called Rust. I found a 2006 on auto trader that didn't show the undercarriage and after a 3 hour drive to look at it the undercarriage is rusty. I left the dealer not feeling I could trust them. The cruiser drove fine with 140k. The cross member has already started separating and looking like a flaky biscuit. Am I overly worring about the rust or is it really not a big concern and can be addressed with POR and starting to oil spray it regularly?
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg

A dealer in ohio wouldn't consider that rust. If it was on the body they would disclose it. On the frame and chassis? Considered 100% normal. My 100's frame was covered in surface rust but caused me no problems in the 16 years /331k I drove it. Just not an issue in the real world.

You should see the underside of my 2013 LX. Not a lot better than your pictures.

Welcome to Ohio.

Those rust-free photos from SWUtah are amazing. I've literally never seen the undercarriage of a vehicle here in Michigan look that good. It sets too high a bar for reality for any truck north of about the 35th parallel. The rusty one from the OP would take some work and should be very carefully looked at for body rust before purchase. And "oil spray" just makes a mess and doesn't stop rust.

The underside of my 100 isn't as (remarkably) hand polished as utah's but it as well has zero rust, thanks to being sw vehicle. As said in other threads, anyone from non rust area's would most likely be somewhat uncomfortable with your pics and folks from rust belts would not flinch much with out a more thorough review.

I would look for a similar model in a non-rust belt state. See what the price difference is. If you find they are similar, buy the nicer one and have it rust proofed before you torture it with an Ohio winter. It may eventually end up like the one you posted pics of, but at least you will know what you started out with.

It loOKs like it's been in the show room

I had 2 - LX470's when I lived in the KC area. I always washed/blasted the bottom of my LX's every week. Every spring and fall I would use rust remover to touch up any rust or discolorations. Then I would spray with Rustoliuem hammer coat to help protect. Takes a couple of hours twice a year but keeps everything rust free. Guess I'm anal :)

I just bought 2002 100 with 129k mi in Illinois. Not as bad the pictured, but good amount of rust. I lived in Minnesota for 21 years and my 94 and 97 LC had worse than pictured rust, but I drove both of them til 212k mi. Wash undercarriage often with blast water to get the salt off. You will be okay. It is almost impossible to get rust free vehicles in Northern region Midwest.

My advice: Worry about rust on the body and the mechanics, and not necessarily on the frame (unless pieces are falling off which isn't likely). My 304,xxx miles 80 lived 8 years in Mass., 2 in Chicago, 3+ in Minneapolis, 1 in Sioux Falls (hard to hold a job?), etc., and is doing fine here in Phoenix with my 100. There are what I might call "alarmists" on this board who faint at the slightest sign of corrosion, but these trucks are tough. Just don't get rot on the body! If it's otherwise clean and tight, and the price is right, you might go for it.
Just my not-so-HO of course.
Ned

In the ideal world? yeah your, and all of our trucks would look like SWUtah's truck. that being said i agree with nodaksn3, there are things much more important than surface rust on the undercarriage. If i were you, search around for a truck with a long list of maintenance items, nice clean body and interior and then make sure there are no pieces falling off the frame.

I totally agree with nodaksn3. Here is the kicker. Not alot of LC 100s out there since most of the owners wants to keep their vehicle. So, either rust but good mechanical, No rust but no maintenance history, in other word, you won't get both good world on the LC 100s. In Illinois, I have seen LC 100s with 200k+ mi for going over 10grand. I bought mine with one owner, good mechnical history, but somewhat similar rust situation as the one you saw. I rather pick one with good mechanical maintenance history. My two cents.

I just spent $3,000 on a new upper rear hatch that was rusting, and fixing rust around the windshield. I replaced the skid-plate/cover under the fuel tank last year at around 145k because it was mostly gone from rust. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dr...-the-skidplate-questions.788164/#post-9014395
You can see in the pictures not a lot of rust underneath for an '03 with that mileage in Michigan. Yours seems a little extra rusty, maybe a lot of highway miles on it? Or gravel roads? My wife runs our LC through the carwash a lot, maybe that has helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom