I want a 78 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:crybaby: Toyota Motor Corp. North America sucks. I want to buy a new truck. Toyota won't sell me one. I have been talking to TMC NA now for a few years now that the only new cruiser that I would buy is a 78 series. They come out with the FJ cruiser. Sorry I don't want a dressed up 4runner. If you read this call !-800-GOTOYOTA and tell them you want a 78 series. If enough of us group together, maybe they will figure their marketing division is over looking a coveted group. Why would they push us away to look at a ?eep. It's sad. I want a 78 series so bad that I can taste it. CALL TOYOTA AND COMPLAIN, THEY WILL LISTEN TO NUMBERS!

b-u-y one.

I have two 7x series here in Tucson- you must get a bit creative.

I can get you a hzj79 w/o bed (box) out of canada. it will cost you.

I tried to get legally imported hzj105's this summer, but the engine was the deal killer (excess of $75,000 in parts and test fees).

rick_d said:
b-u-y one.

I have two 7x series here in Tucson- you must get a bit creative.

I can get you a hzj79 w/o bed (box) out of canada. it will cost you.

I tried to get legally imported hzj105's this summer, but the engine was the deal killer (excess of $75,000 in parts and test fees).

Hey Rick, how ya doin'?

Scubasteve, fuggetaboutit unless your 75/78 is for off road only, you won't be able to legally import it and get it titled unless you have more money than...well I guess powerball is over a quarter billion. Anyway, I traded my 1997 HZJ75 pickup for a 1978 FJ45 which I could legally title. See the article I wrote for Toyota Trails earlier this year. I'd like an FJ78 or HZJ78 too, but TMS NA figures they can sell 2UZ powered Tundras until the cows come home.

We (Rising Sun and TLCA) have many inside connections to TMS and TMM, and we are constantly whining about wanting "real" trucks like everyone south of the equator keeps getting. Earlier this year I met with the chief engineer from Japan for Land Cruiser, 4Runner and Taco, his assistant, and his TMS counterparts from Irvine CA. They consider the NA market different than say, Namibia. And, from a profit standpoint, they are totally right. But we keep working on them.

The FJ Cruiser is partly a result of our continued pressure. Sure, it's a restyled runner, but it's better than a mall runner, no?

I want Toyota to sell me one at the dealership down the street. If enough people request TMC to sell them in the US, maybe they will listen.

I think all of us would love to have the full Toyota line available, but it's not going to happen. Once a line veers off and doesn't meet US safety and/or emmissions standards it's gone forever. It costs to much to retest and recertify.

This phenomenon is not limited to Toyota either. How many D90s or 110s could Land Rover sell here if they just put in some airbags? The bottom line is that plenty of people buy Tacos/Tundras/4Runners, so we are hosed for now.

Save your pennies and import a used one, cause it's all you're going to get. :frown:

Plain and Simple,

Bottom line is Toyota wants to make money. If the market (us) says "I want a 78" they will listen. One person telling them that does not work. 10,000 people raises a question in their minds. The 1FZ engine is still in production world wide in both the 100 and 78 series. Rerating the emissions is not hard for them to do. If 7500 to 10000 units a year is imported to the US, Toyota is making a marginal profit. The dealerships won't even have to have them on the lot, so lot space is not an issue. Go in order what is wanted, when it comes in go on down and drive it away. I'm tired of people saying safety and emissions are an issue! The issue is Toyota is missing out in keeping customer loyalty by having me look at another competitor. I will say it again. TOYOTA LISTENS TO NUMBERS, TELL THEM TO SELL 78's IN THE USA!

why don't you guys import one of the newer 45 series frames (legal under the 25 year rule isn't it?) and get a used 7X series, and make one? most the chassis is similar, diff width is similar... body swap (wouldn't be that hard) drivetrain swap, and you've got yourself a 7X series cruiser with a legal frame number???

scubasteve said:
Plain and Simple,

Bottom line is Toyota wants to make money. If the market (us) says "I want a 78" they will listen. One person telling them that does not work. 10,000 people raises a question in their minds. The 1FZ engine is still in production world wide in both the 100 and 78 series. Rerating the emissions is not hard for them to do. If 7500 to 10000 units a year is imported to the US, Toyota is making a marginal profit. The dealerships won't even have to have them on the lot, so lot space is not an issue. Go in order what is wanted, when it comes in go on down and drive it away. I'm tired of people saying safety and emissions are an issue! The issue is Toyota is missing out in keeping customer loyalty by having me look at another competitor. I will say it again. TOYOTA LISTENS TO NUMBERS, TELL THEM TO SELL 78's IN THE USA!

So if the TLCA is pushing to 4000 members and let's say double that number gets you to your 8000 mark. You then take those 8000 die hard Cruiser loyalists and if you're lucky 20% of them will buy a 78 series. So you expect Toyota to import a truck that will sell less than 2000 units with marginal profit OR they sell 50k FJ Cruisers for higher margin. You're exactly right, bottom line is they want to make money. Importing 78s won't make them any.

If you then consider the limited number of vehicles Toyota is allowed to import it makes your arguement even less persuasive. A purpose built niche vehicle that will barely sell to a diehard community or the 100series luxury SUV that brings in high margin, good revenue and continually moves over 10k units per year. It's a no brainer.

I would love a 78 series but if I"m going to call Toyota and tell them to completely restructure their business and profit models on my behalf I'll be asking for an HZJ105 to be imported instead. :flipoff2: I appreciate your passion but unfortunately for all of us it's not going to happen. Maybe when the 07 Diesel Tundra is intoduced we might see some better motor options which may be the gateway to a larger US Land Cruiser offering.
dmc

bad_religion_au said:
why don't you guys import one of the newer 45 series frames (legal under the 25 year rule isn't it?) and get a used 7X series, and make one? most the chassis is similar, diff width is similar... body swap (wouldn't be that hard) drivetrain swap, and you've got yourself a 7X series cruiser with a legal frame number???
That is actually a viable and legal option. When I was researching how to legally title my 1997 HZJ75, one of the options was a "homebuilt" vehicle title. And as I stated in a previous reply to this thread, you can always spend $$$ and have the non-USA spec. vehicle retrofitted and certified DOT/NHTSA. There are a number of places that do this.

1991 Land cruiser

Hey all,

New to the whole Land cruiser idea but in a few short weeks I now know I want one.
Found a 1991 Land Cruiser with low KM's for what I thought was a decent price. Can I get some insight on this year (pro's & con's) plus any "to avoid years" or recurring problems with other years. Any recommendations would be appreciated.:cheers:

on the possibility of the 78 being introduced there was this mysterious comment from a one time user calling himself "toyotaR&D" on a thread in the FJ section demanding a solid front axle on the fj cruiser. not sure if it was legit or not but the poster used the term "live axle", which no one had used in the thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=385813&postcount=114

we have been reviewing this site, but regret to announce that "live axle" is not economically viable. our offroad engineers inform us that a well setup independent suspension system is more capable overall than a comparable solid axle. we also do not believe that any gains offroad from a solid axle would outweigh the safety aspects of an independent suspension system. While we appreciate your enthusiasm and support, we do not believe that extreme offroad capability is important in this type of vehicle.

On the note of importing the 70 series of landcruiser into america, whilst in early stages of planning, the increasing safety standards in third world markets requires toyota to implement safety features such as airbags and side intrusion beams. That and the latest emissions requirements imposed from countries signed to the Kyoto agreement mean that importation of low volumes of 7X series of landcruisers may become viable, in an effort to appease our traditionalist, or loyal followers.

Thank you for making your wishes heard.

I'm still waiting for a 78.

I came down a back hill from the Benbow road that drops into a mine in NYE Montana, we hit a locked gat so we went to the maintiance shop, there were at least 7 7_ series trucks there all diesels. There used only at the mine. I asked the guy if we could buy one he said there wwere a bunch of them on the scrap pile. I'm going to investigate, cheers, Larry BTW Rick_D what was the canvas shop shop you used in Cody for the soft tops?

larry-

western canvas deb and jeff were trying to sell it a few years ago but they do have a website.

let me know if you need any help hauling mine trucks off.....

I'm still waiting. I guess I may have to buy a JEEP Rubicon unlimited. Ain't it a bitch, Toyota lost and will continue to push loyal costomers away.

scubasteve said:
Plain and Simple,

There are not 10,000 people in America that would drop 40K plus on this truck....

If you think for a minute that it would cost any less, then that delusional thinking goes hand in hand with your thought about calling them and telling them you want a certain truck and actually thinking that it is going to somehow matter. (Just like all those poor folks that think some online petition about ending IFS is somehow going to get their attention, even though, these same folks have, and continue to purchase IFS Toyota vehicles) :rolleyes:

If you want to get their attention, stop supporting them. A Rubicon Unlimited is twice the truck the FG (yes, FG) will ever be.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom