I purchased a 40....what year is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove by a 40 a couple of weeks ago with a phone # on the window.
I just had enouph time to slow down to get the #.
The guy was on vacation for the last couple of weeks and the cruiser is about 1 1/2 hours away and I havn't gotten the chance to see it since.
The price was right so I told him I would take it. (very very cheap)
I have been searching around for a time line for FJ40s.

the guy said it has a four speed on the floor.
I saw two half swing out doors in back.
wipers are on top of the wind shield
large square turn signals mounted on fenders.
dune beige paint.

thats about all I saw.
hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
thanks

Could be any year....so many parts will cross over....

I would bet that is what you have purchased......

From what you have stated....Large turn signals were not on the 40 until 1975, swing out rear half doors ended in 1974...four speed tranny was a 1974 component....who knows what it is....could be a 1963-1983. :)

You will know when you get it home, and start working on it....

Good luck!

-Steve

Post some pics as soon as you can and we can be more help , sounds like a mutt at this point.

Brent....

Get to WORK! ;p

My 74

Mine was built in Nov 73 and has a mix of 73/74 stuff. It has a three speed . it does not have the ambulance doors, it does not have the hood safety catch, it does have the ignition switch on the column. It has the short rear jumper seats. It has an EGR system. I kind of have the tweener model.
dataplate.jpg

I will post some pics after I get it home.
my wife may divorce me.......(another land cruiser)
Steve is right.
I probably should get back to work!
thanks for the info.

It has got to be pre-75. Most of those things are changed regularly, but I don't think many folks to a wiper conversion. I vote 74.

I'm guessing an early 1974. U probably didn't see the tail lights, but they would be rectangular.

like this

dfmorse said:
I'm guessing an early 1974. U probably didn't see the tail lights, but they would be rectangular.

Looks like this probably
right rear view.jpg

Has all the traits of my 74 except for the turn signals. Pretty easy to change those out.

I'd say 74 too. There's square turn signals and big square turn signals. If its a factory 4 speed and half doors it should have the apron marker lights to be a 74.
It would have the F engine and the tail lights in the rear cross member.

Kevin

74 was the last year before ambulance doors wasn't it, and 73 was the last year for a 3 spd. In Canada anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom