may buy this 40, help me id the year of it (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i found this 40 local to me here in iowa and i have no idea what year. judging by the pics its at least mid 70s from what i can tell. there are disc brakes in a package in cab, dash pad, looks like 2 f engine.

1695212260183.png
1695212350075.png

1695212382500.png

1695212417574.png

1695212458365.png

My guess: 72-74. No split hood, wipers on top of windshield frame, no door panel doors. More fine tuned guess is late 73 or 74 based on heater. But all bets are off because all that is changeable between vehicles.

i may go look this weekend. i totaly think the guy selling his wife is making him sell so not much info has been given. i will look it over and get better details for sure. just looking for the simple insight like split hood and dash stuff. thanks

Look on the Vin tag drivers side A pillar. My guess would be a 74. Shifting instructions looks like a 4 speed, which would be the 1st yr. 75 had amby doors and rollbar. @Living in the Past could disect it.

Heater changed in 9/73 with the 74 model. This one is a the later style with the vent on top. Tail light changed at the same time as well as the emblems on aprons and the bib. The handle for the interior door went metal to vinyl. Knobs on the dash changed 9/72. Heater switches were marked front and rear. 9/73 rear heater worked off hight speed of the front heater. Switch. Rear no longer had its own switch.

Heater changed in 9/73 with the 74 model. This one is a the later style with the vent on top. Tail light changed at the same time as well as the emblems on aprons and the bib. The handle for the interior door went metal to vinyl. Knobs on the dash changed 9/72. Heater switches were marked front and rear. 9/73 rear heater worked off hight speed of the front heater. Switch. Rear no longer had its own switch.

omg lots of little details.

thanks again

Looks like a fun project, especially if you snag it for a "I just want it gone" price.

I assume the door braces are structural due to the extent of the rust? Interesting

holly cow thats good eyes. i did not catch the door braces at all. oh my now s*** just got real..... :)

It's to be expected from the pic of the rusted floors. It's got a head start towards the required bracing so the floors can be replaced.

It's to be expected from the pic of the rusted floors. It's got a head start towards the required bracing so the floors can be replaced.
that makes since, i did re read a texted where he said he squared up the body to start on the floor. or something. its hard to tell what he meant because the text was one run on message. lol but now i think i got figured out. at first i thought he had square tubing in the back that was coming with the LC lol

i found this 40 local to me here in iowa and i have no idea what year. judging by the pics its at least mid 70s from what i can tell. there are disc brakes in a package in cab, dash pad, looks like 2 f engine.
Looks like an "F" engine to me. I thought the 2F moved the alternator to the pass side.... (along with aluminum valve cover, which was also on the 1.5 F, but I never saw a 2F with stamped steel).

Heater looks different than my '74. Not sure if that's newer (can't be much newer) or older.

you maybe right i believe it is an old F not the 2F

Should be an “F.5”. Updated oiling but not quite 2F yet. Year lined up for that to be right plus, the very front exhaust manifold bolt is not usually drilled/tapped on the F 155 head.

And yep, that’s an AC box in there.

very cool thanks again tons of info...

I was going to say 74 or later. There is no picture of the back.. for the tell-tale ski google backlight. One question, there is no roll bar in the pictures. I know that '73 doesn't have roll bar. Any history on when the roll bar and 3 point seat belts were added to the US vehicles?

I was going to say 74 or later. There is no picture of the back.. for the tell-tale ski google backlight. One question, there is no roll bar in the pictures. I know that '73 doesn't have roll bar. Any history on when the roll bar and 3 point seat belts were added to the US vehicles?

That style door ended 1/75. As for three point seat belts, those started 1/76 in the US. Not attached to the roll bar but the hard top. 2/78 seat belts moved to the roll bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom