I need very basic motor rebuild advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had lots of carbon build up on my intake pistons valves ..... Like sludge... I pulled my intake/exhaust manifold off and dumped diesel fuel in there. Let it soak in, then I took a small gun cleaning rod with brass brush to scrape off the crud. Wipe off and repeat. After several months of hard driving and valve adjustments, everything broke loose and she's a happy cruiser now. She had always had bad hesitation before the "deep clean".

Edit: my compression numbers ranged from 109-127....i never rechecked them after cleaning the engine with diesel since it runs so well now. That was 4 years ago

Hey, so there may actually be a tiny mechanic inside every can of Seafoam. I dumped a bunch in the tank, dribbled a several ounces into the carb with the motor running, then let her drown to a stop. Went to bed, then drove it hard for about 70 miles this morning. My hesitation issue seems to be fixed. Also, on a hot motor, here are the new dry compression results: 1 - 6

156 | 141 | 140 | 143 | 150 | 157

It's a crazy improvement. I didn't bother to do a wet test.

Below are some pics. What I thought were concerning chips along the piston edges seem to have been mostly carbon buildup, especially by the notch. I don't have before pics, but the after pics are way better. After 70 miles there is still a tiny bit of gunk showing up on the cyl 1 plug side electrode. That fella was very gunky when I ran my first test. I'm going to start using Seafoam on other crap around the house. Light bulbs, clogged toilets, salad, etc.

Unnecessary engine pic:
engine.jpg

Plugs:
plugs.jpg

Pistons:
piston.jpg

piston1.jpg

piston3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom