I need some expert opinions on this...I think I'm ready..maybe. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have been searching for months for a decent FJ (later model preferred) and thought I had several but got outbid on both at the last second........maybe a blessing in disguise.

I keep going back to this FJ on EBay mainly because its rust free and just requires "some assembly". Seller states engine ran when parked for restoration (but who knows) and that electrical and trans are fine and ready to go. Question is, based on this listing how much work is left.....??

Let me step back, I have never owned an FJ so I don't have a clue. I am a 5-6 out of 10 on the mechanical side (barely shade tree) and have never done paint or body (but this doesn't require that it appears). So is this rig just basically bolting everything back together? Am I missing something here....to my un-trained eye it doesn't seem to monumental but the seller states many hours left to complete the project.

If the FJ guru's wouldn't mind chiming in on their thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. If you could break down for me the next steps to be taken to get this ole girl on the road that would be great.

Seller states everything is there, just in boxes.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys could provide.

Regards,

Randy

Here's the pics....and the link to ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...acb132505&item=321234609413&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
17.jpg
14.jpg
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

I'm no expert by any means. I'm sure others will chime in. I think that the buy it now price is high given that it's not assembled but that's just me. I would want to see a lot more pictures than what he has listed. Under carriage, engine, engine bay just for starters. Other than that, I wouldn't be intimidated by it just because it's disassembled. If all the parts are there and you can get it for a price you feel comfortable with, I'd go for it.

Ask him how long the engine has been idle. The one I bought was said to, "Just adjust the timing." That was a bunch of crap. The engine had sat for 9 years with 12 miles. Loose the stupid Mack truck badge and the truck looks good. Find a local Decatur member and ask him to go over it soon if possible.
1. The areas he mentioned that are new need to be checked to see how well it was done.
2. The parts inventory needs to be checked for how complete it is.
3. What does the frame look like?
4. If the truck is as clean as it looks and only needs what he mentioned, it's a pretty good deal.
5. Good luck!

I sure wouldn't pay anything close to that for the amount of work it's going to take to get it running... Does he have the harness ? No shots of the engine bay ... ?

I think it would be pretty tough to piece together a half finished project if you are not really familiar with what you are trying to assemble. Maybe if you had a buddy next door that had a complete running 40 you could reference…. But with this thing, you won't even know what pieces you are missing. Please refer to these rigs as a 40 or Cruiser. "FJ" refers to one of those new weird looking things with three win shied wipers.

I think it would be pretty tough to piece together a half finished project if you are not really familiar with what you are trying to assemble. Maybe if you had a buddy next door that had a complete running 40 you could reference…. But with this thing, you won't even know what pieces you are missing. Please refer to these rigs as a 40 or Cruiser. "FJ" refers to one of those new weird looking things with three win shied wipers.

:whoops: Rookie mistake by me not clarifying 40......(However, I was in the FJ40 forum so I think I should get partial credit).

Thanks for the input, maybe I'm slowly loosing my patience and trying to "sell myself" on this one. I truly can't believe it's this hard to spend money......but I don't want the wrong 40 either.

I have increased my budget to $14-$16k so a better candidate that doesn't need assembly will hopefully show up soon.

Thanks again.

For that money you should be able to find a good, clean, turn-key truck with lots of goodies already on it.

Happy hunting!

!0,500 and mount the dash. Do the seats. Mount the duct under the dash. Put the bumper on. That's all no brainer stuff even if you aren't familiar with the FJ40. The only items I'd worry about are the engine (and whatever isn't mounted under there), the condition of the frame and if the metal work was done well. Any or all of those closes the deal. Tell him if he gets it running and it runs well, you have a deal. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks 90% put together to me. The frame up I'm doing now couldn't be done for 14k. Not possible without owning the shop.

10K to much

what worries me the most is that it had a bunch of rot replaced and its sat inside for 10 years.....god knows what rot will pop back up once it see the weather.

not many pics, nothing of what it use to look like or the rot repairs....

pass on it.

Apparently a bunch of the guys on here are getting much better deals on nice FJ40's than I see here in Texas. I wouldn't hesitate to pay 10K as long as the frame is in good shape. Prices are going up rapidly in my experience.

!0,500 and mount the dash. Do the seats. Mount the duct under the dash. Put the bumper on. That's all no brainer stuff even if you aren't familiar with the FJ40. The only items I'd worry about are the engine (and whatever isn't mounted under there), the condition of the frame and if the metal work was done well. Any or all of those closes the deal. Tell him if he gets it running and it runs well, you have a deal. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks 90% put together to me. The frame up I'm doing now couldn't be done for 14k. Not possible without owning the shop.

I have to agree with this, yes you could buy one cheaper, but then what about the cost of parts etc. Not to mention the time. DEPENDING on the engine, frame, other things not seen, AFTER I saw it in person or had someone to look at it...sounds like his lost is your gain, besides 10.5 is the asking price not the selling price

I have talked to the seller a few times, very kind and knowledgeable and even suggested if I thought it was too much of a project don't do it. I don't think he has to sell more of that its just sitting there. I am about 4 1/2 hours away so I can't just pop down there......maybe I can find a local 40 guy somewhere close.

I drove the 40 that just sold on EBay that was from Knoxville..(it was the beige one that ended Thursday). It was nice but still had a few issue's and bid up to $18,300.......I don't think it was worth that much but I'm no expert. It got me thinking if this rig is everything I hope it is I would be way under that number but have some "assembly" time ahead.

Thanks again for the remarks, I guess in the end it just needs to be eyeballed in person and verify everything.

On a side note....besides EBay and the mud forum is there another 40 site or classified place to go? It seems I have looked everywhere.

he says the paint job is great. Well yea, but the engine and the frame. What about the tranny too? you could have a sweet look but if the engine and tranny are worn you'll have a sweet looking ride still sitting in the garage. I'm not saying it couldn't be a good deal but ........ Yea get rid of the bulldog.

Look at the 2nd pic in you 1st post, see the hole in the rear sill? looks to me like the bondo is pretty thick, it cracking around the whole under that shiny paint. I would expect the same amount of bondo on many other area's

Agree, you need to look at the under side of it. It might be rusty with nice smooth coat of bondo and new shiny paint.

I've bought 4 non running fj40s. $1,250, complete with burned wires. $2,000 needed fuel pump (pump included) . $2,000 needed starter, $1,500 disassembled no top no doors.

$10,500 for a non running, much less dissembled fj40 is a ton of $$.

When it doesn't run and drive, you have to price in parts and labor on a new drivetrain, which is worst case scenario. I've never bought one with a bad motor, but they're out there.

Paint and body on mine at deep discounts was $2,500.

Seller might have $10k in it, but don't let him make his business your business.

I'd try to be under $5k on that rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom