I need advice on possible FJ Cruiser puchase /How much rust is "normal" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are talking to a Californian, what is rust? I hear it never sleeps, but that was from a Canadian singer, no? Neil, erm Young. :) Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all

The stock camera is also perfect for trailer hookup, at least for me. Man, we are way derailed from the original post now!

LOL... it's all good... i had emailed the seller telling him that i wasn't going to come look at it today since my credit union was only open until lunchtime and i didn't want to feel rushed about making a decision and that I would get back with him in a couple of days... he replied and said that it was pending sale to another guy that had come to test drive it , so my post about this FJC really doesn't matter now I guess. Still , I appreciate the opinions of those that have responded.

I think you dodged a headache. Yes that is pretty normal rust, but not great.

You would be cutting out the LCAs, struts, shocks, probably caliper pins, skid plate bolts, and on and on.

Hell, I just snapped off a bump-stop this weekend. That was fun. Thanks Ohio.

I think you dodged a headache. Yes that is pretty normal rust, but not great.

You would be cutting out the LCAs, struts, shocks, probably caliper pins, skid plate bolts, and on and on.

Hell, I just snapped off a bump-stop this weekend. That was fun. Thanks Ohio.

yeah, probably. I just found myself feeling a little relieved that it sold to someone else. I had been on the fence about it and was thinking that I should just trust my own judgement more. I value the opinion of others in the community that have dealt with these kinds of things too, but I was just stressing myself out thinking about the risk involved with buying one of the early ones and not knowing if it would have the throw out bearing problems... the bad ring and pinion gears that I had read about, AND a northern vehicle with lots of rust... I don't want to spend that kind of money and then end up regretting it and living with an expensive bad decision.

Any other fish on the hook?

well, I'm still looking around. After all this talking about it, and going back and forth, and thinking I should try to stay in the $15k price range, I looked at an ad for a black 2014 at a toyota dealership. It's supposed to be the 6 speed, about 60k miles, certified pre-owned. They didn't have any pictures of it on the ad though. They listed it at $32k. Which is way more than I want to spend, but I found myself thinking, well, I probably wouldn't have to worry about anything being wrong with that one... LOL

32 is a lot of bread! I don’t know about the rarity value of the 6 speed. I was dead set on a 10,11, or 14 under 120K. 11 was my preferred year and I got it. I ended up spending 2500 more than I wanted but I found a gem so it was worth it. Whatever you get let us know!

From what I have seen, 6-speeds are just more rare...by nature most of the soccer moms of 2007-on didnt want to shift. You often see the more bare-bones trucks in a 6-speed since the locker came with it automatically.

You'll find one eventually. Key seems to be (as you probably know) to be willing to travel for the right one.

Didn't see the mileage in that ad. So we can assume it's not "low". Looks like a nice truck but at that price I'm guessing the miles are up there.

I've got the exact same truck but in Sandstorm (I think - whatever it's tan.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom