I need advice on carb, what 2 do ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone retro-fitted (jury-rigged) a Motorcraft 2bbl. carb on my 2F motor. It is gunked from setting during the rebuild and my rig runs terrible. I need to A) rebuild the Motorcraft B) Go with another carb?...if another carb,what works well on an on/off-road FJ40? I'm concerned with linkages,gas lines,etc. matching up.

IMOP(and many others) its hard to beat the stock Aisin carb, if you have the stock linkage than this is what I would do.

John H

I'd definitely go Aisin. It was built for your rig. You'll never be sorry. New ones are available, or, you could go with used with the hope you can rebuild it adequately, or that it is OK when you get it.
If you have the bucks, you might want to go with a "NonUSA" Aisin. Not cheap, but you'll see a performance gain, and you may want that if it is for your daily driver. You could even send it to Jim Chenowith and he'll tweek it for you for even better results.

People get Webers, but unless you are a wizard at adjusting carbs, (and since you are asking, I'll assume you aren't one), it won't match the Aisin.

Not to pirate this post, but IDave, will the Non-usa carb work well with other mods like a cam and headers, or will it be underfueled? Has anyone had any luck with the rebuilt non-usa carbs from SOR they seem a little cheaper than a new one? I am in the same boat as Iron_pig, except that mine has a rochester. My carb has been converted to a cable pull, but it still retains the stock piece that comes through the firewall. What else is required to go back to rod linkage?

Don't know about cams for sure, but I would guess that would be ok. I have MAF's 6>1 headers and no problem with the NonUSA.

The motorcraft 2bbl is a copy of a Weber.

If you think it ran well before it is likely a peice of grit thats worked its way up and blocked the idle circuit. That or a vacuum leak. It could even be water sitting in the bottom of th3e float boal. I wouldn't start swapping carbs and spending money on a different setup just yet. It is a simple carburetor to rebuild. Although they can be a pain to set up JUST right, they do work as well as any other carburetor set up to a particular engine. And yes my opinion is biased - I run a 32DIR weber on my F engine :flipoff2:.

if its a copy of a weber, go ahead and rebuild it. ive got a weber 32 that runs fine. only around $12 or so for most rebuild kits. $200-300 for a rebuilt, more for a new carb. If the carbs not rebuildable or still runs like crap go with aisin.

I agree, it can't hurt to clean it up before you give it up.

By the way, there is a stock 2f carb on ebay right now. $44 and may need a rebuild. 4 hours left. (no, it is not mine)

if you decide to go the aisin route, look on the for sale and want ads on here and other boards. also cruiserparts.net usually has available for a decent price.
dont forget to check your junkyard. got one from a 78 in a junkyard for almost nothing.

I just had the aisun carb rebuilt on my FJ73 and tuned by someone who knows what their doing and it runs so smooth ,starts so easily I wouldnt dream of swapping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom