I need a rusted tub. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have teamed up with a local manufacturer to help me create an exact replica complete with ribs and out of 16 gauge cold rolled steel.

What type of response could I see if I were to create this tub in 16 gauge steel?

16 gauge bodies would make these things a tank.

I don't get why you guys are stewing about using 16 gauge steel. It seems like a no brainer. That's what Toyota used for FJ40 bodies until 1979, when they reverted to using crappy 18 gauge sheet metal. All the FJ40 replacement panels manufactured and sold by Real Steel are 16 gauge, as are most of CCOT's panels. I've used them from both vendors while repairing my '82 and they're far more substantial than the wimpy 18 gauge panels that we removed. The FJ40 is already a tank. It's just the later models that have tin can thickness sheet metal. IMO you'd get a great response from 40 owners. For pre-'79 trucks, it's the original spec thickness. For '79+, it's an upgrade.

Thanks lee, I wasn't stewing and in all honesty had no idea the pre 79s were 16g. I thought they were 18 guage.

Thanks lee, I wasn't stewing and in all honesty had no idea the pre 79s were 16g. I thought they were 18 guage.

Stewing was probably a poor word choice. FWIW, I just came from the local Cruiser shop. My custom fabbed side panels (from Real Steel) came in this morning. It's interesting to compare them side-by-side with the original 18 gauge pieces we're replacing. There's no comparison. I wish my entire tub was 16 gauge. You can see progress pics in the "Sill Wars" thread, in the LSLC-Austin forum. I'll probably start a rebuild thread in the 40 section when we're closer to completion. Still a month away, or more.:frown:

Yes sir joey78212,

We are currently making the jig for the '77 tub and once it is complete we will run the first tub through manufacturing.

I would like to show the first one to you guys and see what you'll think?

Jesse

If you need a test mule, I have a 77 that I am restoring.

I already have a Tub on order that I have paid for coming from overseas, but if you guys beat it here, I could always sell that one.

Will this be a 3/4 tub or 1/2?

My truck and garage are in New Braunfels.

Hey snoozed, does the tub look familiar in my avatar? Your the one selling my old tub on craigslist right? I sold it to a guy from Austin(can't remember his name), guess he sold it to you. He was gonna use it for a modified 40 or 45. Anyways best of luck with your new tub!

Hello to all,

My name is Jesse (I go by Ready on mud) and I am in need of a 3/4 tub from a '74 thru '78 Fj40. The condition of the tub is not important as long as it is complete.

I am currently manufacturing a '67 Fj45 long bed and would also like to manufacture a tub only as well as a 3/4 tub for Fj40's.

I have teamed up with a local manufacturer to help me create an exact replica complete with ribs and out of 16 gauge cold rolled steel.

if your still looking...

Toyota 1980 FJ40 Tub Free

no affiliation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom