I need a new router/modem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crap. Now I have to change my password on my Orbi from the standard “Administrator”.

So... I got the Orbi RB750 mesh 2-pack. I'm using my old Netgear C7000 as a modem with a RJ45 cable connecting the two and have turned off the router portion of it. Works great for phone and computers since I did this in April. Noticed recently that my TV's only get wifi if I unplug the routers then plug them back in (we don't watch TV much and Sarah has historically used her phone to watch Netflix for some stupid reason). But even then it's only 6-12 hours before the TV loses wifi again. TV says something about checking DHCP settings. WTF is that? All 3 of my Samsung TV's, all the same model, have this problem. I don't know about the others because they never get used and I'm too lazy so far to check them out.

The TV connection guide usually shows all zeros for Gateway and DNS Server, and inputting them manually using the IP address (which is the same for all 3 when it works) does nothing.

We used to have no issues with Netflix (the only thing we needed wifi for on the tv's). I'm just guessing that this problem started when I added the Orbi's. Maybe it's a Samsung thing, but I doubt it since I've been updating it daily now, doing the hard reset that's buried in the menu daily, and doing the soft reset daily. On all 3. So it has to be the modem, right?

It really sucks that every wifi device in my house works perfectly but the tv's will just stop working randomly when on wifi, causing the "wait and retry" screen to appear, but even then will still crash after 6 hours of mostly working. Frustrating.

Just define an ip address for the tv and that will solve the problem.
It really sucks that every wifi device in my house works perfectly but the tv's will just stop working randomly when on wifi, causing the "wait and retry" screen to appear, but even then will still crash after 6 hours of mostly working. Frustrating.

There are two options: automatic through DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) or static. Statically assign the IP address on the TV with something from your network like 192.168.1.15. Should work fine.

Once I get through several other projects, I will be selling my Orbi to get something more expensive, complex, and confusing.

Certain ASUS have the ability to become mesh'd with each other. We couldn't find what we wanted after we left the B&B and so went with a lower-end ASUS. Then when the gaming fancy one became available, we used the first one as a mesh'd extender. Pretty soon, the whole neighborhood will be on our network :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom