I might need a HAMOM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lumbee1

Native American
Threads
Well, I've been prepping the truck for our upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon. I purchased a tire repair kit, removed EGR, changed the oil and filter, greased u-joints, bled brakes and removed LSPV, pulled and cleaned the rear carpet, replaced shocks and rear springs, flushed coolant, installed leather seat covers, and had tint installed. I recently noticed a moist front 3rd member and topped off the diff fluid. Tonight I pulled the plug on the passenger side knuckle to add some grease. When I pulled the plug I found some diff fluid on the end of the plug. Now I haven't seen ANY sign of birf soup and sticking my pinky in the hole revealed clean sticky Valovline Palladium grease. It is very possible that when I filled the diff, that it was slightly overfilled and some diff fluid seeped past the seal and was on top of the grease. I pulled the plug on the driver side and there was no sign of diff fluid.

Am I just being paranoid or should I consider a full axle rebuild before the trip?

In the 4 1/2 years we owned the Cruiser, I've never replaced the diff fluid. The fluid is dark but not thick and certainly overdue for replacement.

For the trip, I still have to build window covers for the rear, replace the PHH, cut out and replace the CAT, install heat shielding, and possibly bypass the rear heater.

Paranoid. If the wheel bearings are tight, Run it.

Now i wouldnt be opposed to changing the diff fluid. Definately something i would have done within 4 years of ownership

Agreed - change diff fluid and don't look back. Folks have driven these trucks with leaky birfs for years and no ill effects...other than leaky birfs.

I would be down for helping if you decide to rebeuild the axle.

I am going to be doing mine when I get a chance so it would be a good refresher.

what are you looking to do for curtains? back window? back sliders? back doors? I believe I've got a set I made for my 450. back door and slider are two layers of ripstop, rear doors are single layer (non blackout). Brown ripstop, held by velcro tabs stuck to the window frame.

Pm me if youre interested?

Don't worry about it. I drove mine from Los Angeles to Charlotte in not the greatest condition, just ran out of time and money to finish up some jobs before the wedding and move. It did fine only time I wished I was driving something else was when it was 120 in needles and my 80 didn't have AC

Thanks for the responses. I'll be picking up some diff fluid on the way home.

If you have a chance...pick up some of the hex plugs for the diff and transfer case. Makes a giant difference for the next time removal.

what are you looking to do for curtains? back window? back sliders? back doors? I believe I've got a set I made for my 450. back door and slider are two layers of ripstop, rear doors are single layer (non blackout). Brown ripstop, held by velcro tabs stuck to the window frame.

Pm me if youre interested?
I made my own. I had leftover reflectx from doing the roof of the truck. I used some for a hammock thermal barrier and the rest for window shades for the front windows. With tint and the shades, it stays cool in the truck on hot sunny days. I need to make some for the 2nd row seats.

I would be down for helping if you decide to rebeuild the axle.

I am going to be doing mine when I get a chance so it would be a good refresher.
Thanks @SFROMAN ! I will wait until I see birf soup before I fully open the axle. I will be checking the drag and replacing the front rotors before the trip.

Only 2 hours from there. Robin will be out here then also. Going to Moab for 3 days last week of July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom