I know it’s a tech thread but.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crush 4

SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone suggest the best places to find mintrucks for sale? I did place a wanted add here, looked on eBay, BAT, certain classifieds but wondered if there are other sources? The search is on!!
Thx in advance!
The

Far far from Motor city!

It may depend on how nice of a truck you're looking for. If you're looking for a project or truck the needs some love, Craigslist is probably the best bet.

It may depend on how nice of a truck you're looking for. If you're looking for a project or truck the needs some love, Craigslist is probably the best bet.
Ya, things dissolve in the Motor City salt town so like some of my cruisers I have gone west which is not a problem.
I am looking for a non project as I have enough of those! Something really nice that when Spring comes it’s reAdy to be driven.
Really appreciate any leads as some of the nicest vehicles aren’t listed 4sale.
Thx

Ya, things dissolve in the Motor City salt town so like some of my cruisers I have gone west which is not a problem.
I am looking for a non project as I have enough of those! Something really nice that when Spring comes it’s reAdy to be driven.
Really appreciate any leads as some of the nicest vehicles aren’t listed 4sale.
Thx
If you guys know of anyone wanting to sell let me know. Here are some examples. Congrats to the folks who own these!

E0DD4F6E-59F6-4AE0-9FAE-20398B0573F5.jpeg
944C22F5-B346-45C2-A1A0-35F358DADE27.jpeg

How did you miss this one?

160670765327a81fe3f57bfc51987-Toyota-Pickup-scaled.jpg

Thx, yes I’m watching
Any watch outs you see?

Yeah, watch out for your wallet.

But, honestly... I don't think that price is out of line. That thing is a beauty. It's just you gotta decide if you wanna tolerate the regular cab and carb'd engine.

Yeah, watch out for your wallet.

But, honestly... I don't think that price is out of line. That thing is a beauty. It's just you gotta decide if you wanna tolerate the regular cab and carb'd engine.
since I'm new to the PU would appreciate your thoughts on the pros and cons? Im 6'1 will i fit or better off with extended cab and EFI
thanks for the comments!

Everybody has their tolerance level, so take this for whatever you paid for it.

The 22R is less of an issue for me, but I have owned both reg and Xtra cabs, and I would never be able to tolerate the regular cab again. These trucks are small inside. I'm only ~5'-7" so I'm a good fit, but the regular cab is just too tight for storage, it's almost claustrophobic. But, that is because we've been accustomed to these big-ass vehicles we have now.

I highly suggest you go find one locally and sit in it, see what you think. Will you be by yourself most of the time, short trips? Might not be too bad. But if you have a passenger, well you better really like each other. You quickly run out of space for all the crap that we bring inside the cab: phones, phone chargers, coffee cups, Big Gulps, etc.

Still... I love these trucks, all of them (except for that white POS above). Stupid easy to work on, durable, reliable with little or no maintenance. And they are pretty handsome IMO.

Everybody has their tolerance level, so take this for whatever you paid for it.

The 22R is less of an issue for me, but I have owned both reg and Xtra cabs, and I would never be able to tolerate the regular cab again. These trucks are small inside. I'm only ~5'-7" so I'm a good fit, but the regular cab is just too tight for storage, it's almost claustrophobic. But, that is because we've been accustomed to these big-ass vehicles we have now.

I highly suggest you go find one locally and sit in it, see what you think. Will you be by yourself most of the time, short trips? Might not be too bad. But if you have a passenger, well you better really like each other. You quickly run out of space for all the crap that we bring inside the cab: phones, phone chargers, coffee cups, Big Gulps, etc.

Still... I love these trucks, all of them (except for that white POS above). Stupid easy to work on, durable, reliable with little or no maintenance. And they are pretty handsome IMO.
What year did the extra cabs start?

mans great info., thank you!

Nice, you still have it?

Unfortunately, no. Frame rotted in half, despite my valiant efforts to weld patches on it. I had to part it out a year later.

Just picked this one up Tuesday. 1986 SR5 power windows, locks, sunroof, 22RE, 5-speed, NO RUST, crazy amount of LED lighting, nice seats, NO RUST, etc.

20201209_074100.jpg

^^These guys seem to do a lot of restorations on these trucks. If I were in the market for a top of the line minitruck, I think I would have a shop restore a truck to my specs rather than wait for a super low mileage truck that is close to what I want popping up on BaT. That 87 is beautiful, but it will go for $15k or so, and the undercarriage has been spray painted, not restored. The "seller performed a general inspection" means that visually everything looks ok, but if the buyer starts putting miles on this truck, it's suspension especially will start showing its age.
With a restoration, you're typically getting an extensive rebuild of the mechanical side of the truck, specifically all the wear items on the suspension. Best case scenario, these trucks ride like a 30 year old minitruck. If you're paying top dollar, why not at least get one that has fresh factory Bilstein shocks, not spray painted over unknown brand shocks.

X2 on the extra cab, I'm 5'8" so the regular cab doesn't bother me from a comfort standpoint, but if you're 6' or more, sit in one before you commit to a standard cab. The only thing I dislike about extended cabs is the tendency for the rear seat to act as a catch all for junk that you can ignore...the rear seat is useable for small passengers, but probably less comfortable than riding in the bed.

^^These guys seem to do a lot of restorations on these trucks. If I were in the market for a top of the line minitruck, I think I would have a shop restore a truck to my specs rather than wait for a super low mileage truck that is close to what I want popping up on BaT. That 87 is beautiful, but it will go for $15k or so, and the undercarriage has been spray painted, not restored. The "seller performed a general inspection" means that visually everything looks ok, but if the buyer starts putting miles on this truck, it's suspension especially will start showing its age.
With a restoration, you're typically getting an extensive rebuild of the mechanical side of the truck, specifically all the wear items on the suspension. Best case scenario, these trucks ride like a 30 year old minitruck. If you're paying top dollar, why not at least get one that has fresh factory Bilstein shocks, not spray painted over unknown brand shocks.

X2 on the extra cab, I'm 5'8" so the regular cab doesn't bother me from a comfort standpoint, but if you're 6' or more, sit in one before you commit to a standard cab. The only thing I dislike about extended cabs is the tendency for the rear seat to act as a catch all for junk that you can ignore...the rear seat is useable for small passengers, but probably less comfortable than riding in the bed.
I don’t have Instagram so can you send me the company’s name and then I’ll go from there and I really appreciate the lead and the commentary around the extended cab I think I’m sold on that.

It is just Hayes Classics, I couldn't find their website, but here is a link to one of their trucks for sale. I thought they were expensive on BaT, but that is nothing compared to this one...maybe this is why the restorations aren't more common.

Flippers scare me. I do think flipping is likely much more common with other categories - muscle cars, etc., but I'd still do what you can to make sure the restoration or resurrection was done right - not done to hide rust, bondo, leaks, etc.

Don't completely rule out overseeing a restoration either. Yes, it's true that paying for a restoration of a car/truck is often the most expensive path to owning a pristine car/truck. There is a flip (pun intended) side of that - paying a lot of money for someone else's poorly done flip can be equally or more expensive.

Last year, I bought a mechanically solid, rust-free, low-mile beater. It was cheap... 'cause it looked (and smelled) like an absolute beater. But its flaws were essentially superficial - new doors and fenders (came with the truck), grille, market lights, wheels & tires, bumper, carpet and paint and the truck looks completely different. The bed is a side story - more on that later ;)

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 3.41.20 PM.jpeg
IMG_6341.JPG

Other than paint, the truck has had very little professional work done to it. So now I have a rust-free 59,000-mile shiny Xtra cab with around $10,000 all-in, so far.

Okay the bed... I do own a factory 4x4 bed from an '84. It needs body and paint to match the cab. Figure $1,500. But, that's on hold... This truck's going a different direction.

Last edited:

Rear seat? You mean that skinny shelf? No way you can safely put a person back there, even a little one. No seat belts, no legroom, etc.

Maybe you're thinking of the next gen trucks ('89-95)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom