I Killed My Motor W/Seafoam! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way, we never run out of mosquitos!
Yea, I heard a rumor to that effect!! Just for giggles, you might try an oil change, or two, to see if it heals up, any at all. You MIGHT get lucky. It's cheaper than a rebuild. I have a LIMITED results from some of the "miricle" engine addatives. Most noticable improvements were with stuff called Restore, in a tall silver can with red and blue type on it. I would recommend the large, V8 size can. It's a crapshoot for less than $50. I'd replace the PCV valve, as it sounds like the blowby is going the wrong direction. With 3 kids, and no budget, I've kept a lot of 10 - 30 year old iron on the road without rebuilds. Used to be a fella named Mark in Wasilla that is a Landcruiser specialty shop. Chase him down for a local source. John

"Just for giggles, you might try an oil change, or two, to see if it heals up, any at all. You MIGHT get lucky. It's cheaper than a rebuild."

X2, on that suggestion...What the hell, couldn't hurt!

i understand seafoam has a side business selling engine rebuild kits. might check with them. comes with free seafoam so you will buy often.

hope that helps.

one love
jah bill

Just an update, I did change the oil/filter twice, I used Delo 400 15w40, I've always had really good luck with Delo, I use the 15w40 in the summer and a 10w30(regular Chevron) in the winter. The PCV valve is working but if you have too much pressure in the crankcase from blow-by all that oil vapor goes right up into the air cleaner and drips out the little drain valve in back of the air cleaner housing. I had an old Chevy Blazer(full size not the pretend ones) that the SBC had no rings left at all and it would fill the air cleaner up every 100 miles or so, I should've just put drain line back to the oil pan on that one, reminded me of an old 6-71 Detroit. I haven't had a chance to do a compression test yet but I will do that and a leakdown test before I pull the motor. I am not sure if Mark's ' still in business, I used to have his number, I'll try and find it.

Hey, now there's an idea: oil bath air filter. I wonder why nobody ever thought of that idea before!! John

Mark Whatley is still in business and occasionally on this board as MarkW - you can try PMing him

I would give CDan a call just to check prices on everything. You might be suprised, both by his willingness to assist you as well as the price including shipping 1 800 432 6668 ext 8
Bryan

I would give CDan a call just to check prices on everything. You might be suprised, both by his willingness to assist you as well as the price including shipping 1 800 432 6668 ext 8
Bryan

I second this idea. CDan has Cruiser parts mojo. He'll help you, I'm sure. Good luck.

:steer:

Mark Whatley is still in business and occasionally on this board as MarkW - you can try PMing him
Yea, that's they guy! It was right on the tip of my tongue. Damn Alzhiemers!! John- I think??

Bryan

Either way, buy all your parts directly from toyota. The majority of gaskets out there are inferior to toyota's original designs. For example, the flash rings are smaller in the headgasket, etc.

I second this idea. CDan has Cruiser parts mojo. He'll help you, I'm sure. Good luck.

After sourcing parts for my rebuild, I do not recommend using Toyota pistons etc, even after talking with Dan. I could agree some oem gaskets and peripheral components are better. Companies like clevite, hastings, and sealed power would not be in business if their products were crap. These are the kind of companies that make products for vehicle manufacturers.

You should be able to order most internal engine components through your machine shop.

Saw him posting in the recovery section last few days.

Wow, didnt realise that someone had pulled up an old post on snatch block. Mark W post were from 06.

...... Most noticable improvements were with stuff called Restore, in a tall silver can with red and blue type on it. I would recommend the large, V8 size can.......

I dump a can of this in my cruiser every other oil change or so.

It's the only "gimmick" stuff that I've used that actually helps.

It stopped our 87 Tercel from smoking altogether!

For about $10 it's worth a shot!

Good Luck!

Update on the Daughter's 83'

So I finally found my compression tester and the stuff to do better diagnosis on my daughters' rig. Here are the compression test results. I ran the test with both a cold and hot engine and the only differance was a 20psi increase in #4, these are the cold numbers.

#1 0(yes, none not a pound!)
#2 145
#3 150
#4 60
#5 145
#6 150

I did a leak down test and found the #1 was losing everything past the rings, or there could be hole in the piston, any way it was all going into crankcase which explains the serious blowby that was filling the air cleaner up with oil. #4 is losing it out the exhaust, must be a valve or seat. The valve train looks horrible, I've never seen this much sludge in an engine, I would'nt be surprised if the valves are sticking too. Anyway, I guess I pull the moto when I get home an my next R&R.

Titus Will Toyota in Tacoma WA ships alot of parts to Alaska, if you need let me know and will set you up with my parts guy there

Well if the engine is done for it is far cheaper just to find one that someone has taken out for a motor swap. I had a bad knock in the top end and it was cheaper to do a full LS1 swap into the cruiser then it was to completly rebuild it with stock toyota stuff. So I hunted around and found a good running stock engine for $75 and went on my way.

ive got a similiar problem but i got the cruiser really cheep and it ran good but i probably get abot 30 miles to the quart its crazy. its actually kind of funny im just waitin to blow it up before i swap

One of the best ways to use Seafoam is to pull the plugs, pour a little bit into each cylinder, let is sit overnight, then fire it up the next day and watch the white smoke fill the neighborhood. But running it for a short time in the oil and in the fuel is also a good thing--in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom