I hate flux core wire..... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I needed to weld in a new floor pan into my 1995 Pathfinder, and I had to use .030 flux core wire, which produced terrible welds....
During the spring semester I took a welding class that had me doing stick, mig, and tig welding. I did pretty well, but the mig welding was done with gas. My local welding shop has a gas bottle for $200 which includes the first free fill, and I own the bottle.....I need to buy the gas!
The welds today burned through numerous times and generally they look like hell. Thank god the Pathfinder will be traded in soon....

Zack
Pathy floor pan.jpg

You really cannot blame the welding wire for that..

I guess but.....when I used solid wire with gas the quality of my welds improved 100%. I guess with thin metal the flux core wire is much harder to use.
I know that I need more welding practice/instruction, so that is why I am enrolling in Welding 2 in the fall.

Zack

Doesn't look too bad for flux-core.

Having said that, there are reasons to use flux-core and welding sheetmetal is not one of them.

Doesn't look too bad for flux-core.

Having said that, there are reasons to use flux-core and welding sheetmetal is not one of them.

flux core wire has a purpose. Welding very thin sheet metal is not one of them.

You'll want to use .024 solid wire with shielding gas on thin sheet metal for best results.

Flux core and dual shield are for deep penetration. Dual shield produces a much cleaner weld.

Gas less Flux core is not my preferred choice for any welding BUT i have used one in heavy engineering work where it was 1.2mm i think and CO2 was also used, it produced the best welds and the flux just rolled of the weld I loved using it , The gas less flux core your using is only any good for outside in the wind where ya gas gets blown away in my opinion , its crud stuff, but then again its a floor pan just bitumen black it all so long as its going to hold and not turn into a flintstone car

I had to use .030 flux core wire, which produced terrible welds....
During the spring semester I took a welding class that had me doing stick, mig, and tig welding. I did pretty well, but the mig welding was done with gas.
Yes flux core core sux for 99 percent of automotive applications.

But it really wasnt helping matters either was it?

flux core wire has a purpose. Welding very thin sheet metal is not one of them.

You'll want to use .024 solid wire with shielding gas on thin sheet metal for best results.

He just needs galvanized floor pans next time. Or just weld it in the wind then the flux core will be awesome, right? :doh:

This thread is so full of win. Thanks man. :popcorn:

Perfectly suitable repair for a nissan though.

Please get a bottle before attempting Toyota repairs. Kthanks. :banana:

Yes flux core core sux for 99 percent of automotive applications.

But it really wasnt helping matters either was it?

He just needs galvanized floor pans next time. Or just weld it in the wind then the flux core will be awesome, right? :doh:

This thread is so full of win. Thanks man. :popcorn:

Here you go again about how you just love flux core. Did you happen to read/understand that I was not suggesting using flux core wire for the floor pans?

I probably would have helped if you had cleaned all the factory galvanizing off the remaining floor boards. That makes welding even harder gas or flux. But yes, you should get gas and be done with it. Much easier to weld with and the welds look light years better. Of course you will have to learn to weld properly either way so your welds are strong and not just pretty.

BTW don't use the retarded TACK TACK method used by so many off road guys. It is wrong and does not produce a strong weld. However you will have to use a similar technique when welding very thin sheet metal to keep it from warping. But for floor pans I wouldn't worry about it. Get the .023 wire and clean it really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom