I guess I shouldn't have been putting this off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With all that diff oil getting past the axle seals I'd be a wee bit worried about the wheel bearings. The oil can wash the grease out of the bearings and leave them running on oil instead of high temp grease.

Just something to consider before a long trip.

Dude,

Just top off the gear oil and go on your trip. For heaven's sake, you guys are freaking him out royally!!!

Ali, I have to aree. Whatever has happened in there has alsready happened. Another couple of hunderd miles is not going to suddendly trash your birfields. The seall might have failed some time ago, and it is only starting to leak past the wiper seals now. Top up the gear oil and do the job when you get back.

Guys, remember that some bearings / knuckes type devices are used with oil only, no grease, IIRC (LR?). So if all the grease was washed out from inside the knuckle and replaced by oil -assuming there is still enough oil in the diff, I don't imagine 200 miles is going to make a big difference...

parabola said:
Looks like I may need some knuckle service???

Yours aren't so bad. Definitely time to address it, but the color of your grease suggests its mostly moly leaking past the rear wiper set. Do yourself a favor and order the parts from CruiserDan and get it on.

e9999 said:
Guys, remember that some bearings / knuckes type devices are used with oil only, no grease, IIRC (LR?). So if all the grease was washed out from inside the knuckle and replaced by oil -assuming there is still enough oil in the diff, I don't imagine 200 miles is going to make a big difference...

Agreed...

When I did my birf job on my '84 mini, there was absolutely no grease anywhere in the knuckle which would tell me the axle oil seal was bad for a long time.

The bearings looked great as did the birf, so I didn't even have to replace anything. Just a typical birf job.....

It was actually a little easier that way 'cause I didn't have to clean all that messy grease off the parts! :grinpimp:

Nick

elmariachi said:
... in my experience in owning 8 Land Cruisers and doing 20 and counting knuckle rebuilds

21, soon enough... :D

did my Birf's yesterday, thanks CDan for the parts and Jim R. for the video was a great tool with the FSM, no major difficulties. My '96 FZJ80 is stock with 128K wheeled mildly a few times a year. No Birf service had been done previously and everything looked in very good condition. I'm just wondering if people usage habits have a large impact on the longevity or service intevals for maintaining one's Birfs. I thought there was a board member doing a longevity test to see how long a Birf will last without repacking. What was the result?

otis22 said:
I'm just wondering if people usage habits have a large impact on the longevity or service intevals for maintaining one's Birfs.

On my rebuilds I generally can get about 65-75,000 miles on a FJ-80 before I start seeing moly in the diff oil. I have never had one I rebuilt leak on the back...but only because I think the axle seal goes first and I catch it and rebuild.

elmariachi said:
On my rebuilds I generally can get about 65-75,000 miles on a FJ-80 before I start seeing moly in the diff oil. I have never had one I rebuilt leak on the back...but only because I think the axle seal goes first and I catch it and rebuild.

I'm inclined to agree based on my experience. I had a little leaking of the seals for a month or two before it all came flowing out, and that was only after some long distance driving and some off road hill climbing. It probably happened during my return trip as for the final fifty kilometers or so, I was getting some sqeeking above 100 kph and had to drive home slowly.

I'm of the opinion that when you see the grease sneaking out, it's time to look for a convenient time to change the axle seals and probably the oil seal too as you're already there.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom