I got myself into a bit of a dilemma. FJ vs GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned an '08 FJ Cruiser since about 2014. I really love it and have no intention of ever getting rid of it. It has 165k miles on it and runs like new. It's a southern truck, so no rust to speak of.

I made the decision to build this thing out into an overlanding rig and otherwise retire it from daily driving. I already bought a Rhino Rack, CVT hardshell tent, Smittybilt bumper and 12,000 lb winch. Getting ready to order suspension and wheels and start building out the inside with a drawer system.

As the FJ is going to be up on blocks for a while, I needed another vehicle for daily driving. A friend of mine was selling his wife's '05 Lexus GX470 with 120k miles. It was maintained at the Lexus dealership all its life and it's pretty pristine. Got a real brother-in-law deal on it, so I bought it.

Well, after having driven the GX470 for a while, I'm having serious second thoughts on whether I should build the GX instead of the FJ. I love the V8, visibility is so much better, it rides very, very comfortably, and it offers a good bit more room.

It doesn't have the "cool factor" of the FJ, it does look like a soccer mom car, but with some mods, it ought to get me just about anywhere the FJ would get me.

I'm seriously stuck here. What would you guys do?

If i was to be building for Overlanding the GX is a much better base i feel . If you ere doing more Rock crawling Technical trails the FJ is Better.

IMO, They are both plenty capable on the trails, but you’ll spend over 90% of the time on pavement probably. Even when on the trails, I’d imagine there are very few courses where an FJ can get through that a GX can’t. If I could only have 1/build out one, I’d go with the one that’s more fitting most of the time. FJ feels like a toy/weekend vehicle compared to the GX.

In a more perfect world you’d have a GX for most days and the FJ for serious bashing/crawling On the occasions!

A guy down the road from my last apartment had built up a GX for expedition-y stuff, and it looks pretty badass. Plus that V8 makes a big difference.

GX.

you can sleep in the back.

Just installed the lift and body mount chop on my friends GX and he went with 35s. Did a bunch of clean trimming under the fenders and no rubbing. New costal front bumper and winch and just installed rock sliders. Next for him is gears and e-locker in the rear from a Tacoma and a limited slip up front. I will tell you this is not just a grocery getter anymore. I am tempted to buy one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom