I got myself into a bit of a dilemma. FJ vs GX (1 Viewer)

I've owned an '08 FJ Cruiser since about 2014. I really love it and have no intention of ever getting rid of it. It has 165k miles on it and runs like new. It's a southern truck, so no rust to speak of.

I made the decision to build this thing out into an overlanding rig and otherwise retire it from daily driving. I already bought a Rhino Rack, CVT hardshell tent, Smittybilt bumper and 12,000 lb winch. Getting ready to order suspension and wheels and start building out the inside with a drawer system.

As the FJ is going to be up on blocks for a while, I needed another vehicle for daily driving. A friend of mine was selling his wife's '05 Lexus GX470 with 120k miles. It was maintained at the Lexus dealership all its life and it's pretty pristine. Got a real brother-in-law deal on it, so I bought it.

Well, after having driven the GX470 for a while, I'm having serious second thoughts on whether I should build the GX instead of the FJ. I love the V8, visibility is so much better, it rides very, very comfortably, and it offers a good bit more room.

It doesn't have the "cool factor" of the FJ, it does look like a soccer mom car, but with some mods, it ought to get me just about anywhere the FJ would get me.

I'm seriously stuck here. What would you guys do?

Firemedic831

Supporting Vendor
If i was to be building for Overlanding the GX is a much better base i feel . If you ere doing more Rock crawling Technical trails the FJ is Better.

SharpeCat

SILVER Star
IMO, They are both plenty capable on the trails, but you’ll spend over 90% of the time on pavement probably. Even when on the trails, I’d imagine there are very few courses where an FJ can get through that a GX can’t. If I could only have 1/build out one, I’d go with the one that’s more fitting most of the time. FJ feels like a toy/weekend vehicle compared to the GX.

In a more perfect world you’d have a GX for most days and the FJ for serious bashing/crawling On the occasions!

A guy down the road from my last apartment had built up a GX for expedition-y stuff, and it looks pretty badass. Plus that V8 makes a big difference.

Just installed the lift and body mount chop on my friends GX and he went with 35s. Did a bunch of clean trimming under the fenders and no rubbing. New costal front bumper and winch and just installed rock sliders. Next for him is gears and e-locker in the rear from a Tacoma and a limited slip up front. I will tell you this is not just a grocery getter anymore. I am tempted to buy one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom