I got it home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After three days and 1,100 miles I got my, new to me, 1980 BJ40 RHD home. My wife and I flew to Vancouver on saturday, took a taxi to Richmond, picked up the cruiser and headed to Sumas. We crossed the boarded without a hitch. I had Bruce Bosch import for me and would use him again in a second.:)

Spent three days on the road without any problems. I have a couple questions that came up during our drive.

At 100 KM/H a buzzer souds under the dash, is that a Japanese speed law item, or is it telling me I am killing my engine? That leads into my second question, what is the max safe cruising RPM for a 2b diesel. :confused:

Sorry if these questions have already been asked.

Well the buzzer is a jap thing. All vehicles here have a buzzer at 100k. I have never had my BJ44 up too 100K and don't think i'm gonna try anytime soon so I have no clue if it has a buzzer. So how did that 2B run for you? They get pretty damn good gas milage huh! Does your 2B idle rough at all? Later!

doubt if the buzzer is speed related on a truck of that vintage.

The buzzer in mine makes a pretty horrid sound, but it indicates higher than normal pressure in the vacuum system (ie lack of vacuum) indicating that the brake booster will not work properly should you require the services of your anchor pedal.

To test, pump your brake for quite a while with the engine off, then turn it on, if the buzzer comes on, its as described above, and you need to make sure the vacuum pump is ok.

if not, dont drive so fast :)

cheers
Sam

Could be the 100km/hr alarm, I just disconnect mine. Never heard of the low vacuum alarm - make sure it's not that first.

Regards.

or...
everyone could drive with fuel economy in mind...

LOL!!

cheers

<mine all get disconected>

HeepEater
I got 25 mpg US flat land cruising, worst was 21mpg US going over the mountains in southern OR. The motor idles real smooth, it only had 88,000 km.

Congrats on the rig... sounds just like what I did about a year and a half ago.

I'm getting about 25 mpg on my long highway drives.

Look forward to pics.

Cheers,
B

heading to Mojave, Death Valley, then San Fran...

John,

I had a bill of sale
signed registration
CBP form 7501 for customs
EPA form 3520-1
NHTSA form HS-7

Bruce Bosch said I could do the import on my own, but I wanted to go with an importer who had done it before and knew what needed to be done. I did not want any surprises. I would recommend Bruce to anyone.

Brendan

If you need to take a break on your way to San Fran, let me know I am right off the 101.

Kris

sorry for all the posts, here is a pic
bj41ext 001[1].jpg

dblugly said:
John,

I had a bill of sale
signed registration
CBP form 7501 for customs
EPA form 3520-1
NHTSA form HS-7

Bruce Bosch said I could do the import on my own, but I wanted to go with an importer who had done it before and knew what needed to be done. I did not want any surprises. I would recommend Bruce to anyone.

Does Bruce have a web page?

I don't think so, I will call him and if ok I will post his phone number

for anyone looking for an importer
Bruce Bosch
360 988 5426

dblugly said:
for anyone looking for an importer
Bruce Bosch
360 988 5426

I'm gonna stick his number into the "Everthing....Importing" thread just for cross reference and keeping things in one spot...

dblugly said:
Brendan

If you need to take a break on your way to San Fran, let me know I am right off the 101.

Kris

Sorry, didn't have any internet connection while traveling so I didn't see this til now. But I came up way eastern Cali, mostly on the 395. I was actually never even close to the 101 til I hit SF. Where are you exactly? Maybe we could have a little cruiser frolic sometime. I am in SF now.

Again, congrats on the rig!

:cheers: :beer:
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom