I don't understand what the previous owner has done with the fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone ! I realized my ream owning a Land Cruiser, especially a J80.

I love my my rust free (not easy to find in Panama) HZJ80 from 1992, but I am quite an amateur when it comes to Mechanic and I am trying to understand why I have some black smoke above 3000rpm. I need help on this one. I bought a fuel filter that came with a hole on the upper side to plug it, but also holes and the bottom side :
Fuel-Filter-1HDT-2__81028.png

And the one on my LC, no hole below and nothing to plug. Previous owner told me he modified the system :
20230628_163852.jpg

It is also much smaller. I am wondering if it is a problem, like the flow of liquid passing through it not high enough,. Should i buy the same one ? Are there bigger compatible filters ? Or should I put the system back (I don't see the cables for it, I think it got totally removed by previous owner) and use the original filter ?
Thanks in advance

put it back use the original filter and order your self the bottom as it will tell you when you got water in your fuel

1688106774967.png

Last edited:
put it back use the original filter and order your self the bottom as it will tell you when you got water in your fuel

View attachment 3361630
forgot to mention there is also a water drain on the bottom so you get altered on the dash for water then you can open the valve to let the water out.

Dash light should look like this
1688322622708.png

Replacing the missing parts is easy. The question is if the previous owner hacked up the wiring harness for that sensor. Hope not.

Regarding the smoke above 3000rpm. I rarely rev that high on mine. However, black smoke means too much fuel and not enough air (the black smoke is unburnt fuel). So the new smaller fuel filter has nothing to do with the black smoke.

There's a lot of things to check, but I would start with the air filter.

Replacing the missing parts is easy. The question is if the previous owner hacked up the wiring harness for that sensor. Hope not.

Regarding the smoke above 3000rpm. I rarely rev that high on mine. However, black smoke means too much fuel and not enough air (the black smoke is unburnt fuel). So the new smaller fuel filter has nothing to do with the black smoke.

There's a lot of things to check, but I would start with the air filter.
Thanks. I cleaned my K&N air filter but I still get above normal consumption. A mechanic very briefly looked at the car and suggested new diesel injector Nozzle. Those are expensive. Do you think that's possible they throw too much diesel as such ?
Another talked about head gasket, showing some black oil below gasket, but as I drive the car and check oil level, I can tell you I have never seen such a low oil consumption on a car in my life haha

Thanks. I cleaned my K&N air filter but I still get above normal consumption. A mechanic very briefly looked at the car and suggested new diesel injector Nozzle. Those are expensive. Do you think that's possible they throw too much diesel as such ?
Another talked about head gasket, showing some black oil below gasket, but as I drive the car and check oil level, I can tell you I have never seen such a low oil consumption on a car in my life haha
advance timing a touch and see if smoke goes away just like what the did in this video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom