HZJ77 trailer wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here, so don't flame too hard if I missed a thread somewhere. Hoping for some assistance from the experts. I have a 1994 HZJ77 that I am working on setting up for trailering my boat. I am awaiting the dropped 2" reciever from Dan at 4 Wheel Wholesale for the towing duties. Pretty straight forward. The wiring is another story. I know this has come up on other threads, but I never found an answer short of just hunting and pecking and hacking into the exisitng harness. My trailer is all LEDs which should make it easy since they should (hypothetically) accept up to 24v. In an attempt to keep things as stock as possible, I went looking for connectors underneath. I found a plug near the rear chassis that looks to be connected into the rear lighting. With the hazard lights on, one of the connections clicks on and off with 24v. My question is if anyone knows of a harness that exists to plug and play this connection? Is that even what this plug is for? This pic is looking up at the right side rear crossmember.

Also, does anyone have experience using the Curt 24v brake converter?
Curt Taillight Converter, 24V 56424 | Zoro.com

IMG_2047.jpg

Last edited:
New here, so don't flame too hard if I missed a thread somewhere. Hoping for some assistance from the experts. I have a 1994 HZJ77 that I am working on setting up for trailering my boat. I am awaiting the dropped 2" reciever from Dan at 4 Wheel Wholesale for the towing duties. Pretty straight forward. The wiring is another story. I know this has come up on other threads, but I never found an answer short of just hunting and pecking and hacking into the exisitng harness. My trailer is all LEDs which should make it easy since they should (hypothetically) accept up to 24v. In an attempt to keep things as stock as possible, I went looking for connectors underneath. I found a plug near the rear chassis that looks to be connected into the rear lighting. With the hazard lights on, one of the connections clicks on and off with 24v. My question is if anyone knows of a harness that exists to plug and play this connection? Is that even what this plug is for? This pic is looking up at the right side rear crossmember.

Also, does anyone have experience using the Curt 24v brake converter?
Curt Taillight Converter, 24V 56424 | Zoro.com

View attachment 2258293
That plug on my friend's HZJ77 harness is for the rear locker, not trailer lights. (I thought it may be for lights as well till I crawled under his and traced it to the locker)

It must be for that. Here is what I did and it works like a champ: Built the Hella 24v logic circuit with four relays. Tapped 12v to it so no matter what trailier I use, it always gets 12v. It took a little hunting and pecking to find what wire did what and where I wanted to tap them. Hope this helps anyone that is trying this type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom