HZJ77 Lift questions (springs & body mounts) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has a source for OEM+1" body mounts that would fit a HZJ77 or 76 series (I assume that they're the same body mounts)

I'm also in the market for some new springs, but don't want to pay 2700 for a Dobinsons or 2500 for an OME kit. They're nice, but something like IronMan has their springs for much cheaper. Sadly, IronMan doesn't do HZJ77 springs... (the rear springs are longer than a regular 76 or other 70 series) Do any of y'all know of any other options?

Any help or suggestions for where to look are appreciated!

Just curious if anyone has a source for OEM+1" body mounts that would fit a HZJ77 or 76 series (I assume that they're the same body mounts)

I'm also in the market for some new springs, but don't want to pay 2700 for a Dobinsons or 2500 for an OME kit. They're nice, but something like IronMan has their springs for much cheaper. Sadly, IronMan doesn't do HZJ77 springs... (the rear springs are longer than a regular 76 or other 70 series) Do any of y'all know of any other options?

Any help or suggestions for where to look are appreciated!
Terrain Tamer parabolics look to be the sweet setup. From what I understand you don’t need riser body mounts if you get new springs with +50mm

I have a dobinson kit I will probably be selling soon. I know the front will fit but I would need to get the dimensions of the distance of the rear spring from the front/rear mounts to see if they are the same or not, I kind of doubt it though. mine is a 75 ute, if you're interested.

If you are handy and have some tools you can make your own chassis lift
That looks really good. I'm pretty sure that I could do that. Where'd you get the ROD?
In that post, you said you got a spacer kit, and then added the ROD? Why'd you have to custom make the lower spacer? Also, I don't understand why you need such a thick lower spacer, what's it for?

Also, I'm super jealous of that troopy! I really want to do a setup like the one you're doing (with the pop top camper and everything)

That looks really good. I'm pretty sure that I could do that. Where'd you get the ROD?
In that post, you said you got a spacer kit, and then added the ROD? Why'd you have to custom make the lower spacer? Also, I don't understand why you need such a thick lower spacer, what's it for?

Also, I'm super jealous of that troopy! I really want to do a setup like the one you're doing (with the pop top camper and everything)

Hey Mate, This was purchased from: Home - Urethane Stock - https://urethanestock.com/
You can choose hardness & colors

I purchased initially a lift kit from superior
Body Lift Kit 2 Inch Suitable For Toyota Landcruiser 78/79 Series Troopy (Diesel Manual) (Kit) | Superior Engineering - https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/body-lift-kit-2-inch-suitable-for-toyota-landcruiser-78-79-series-troopy-diesel-manual-kit-39871.

I really didn't pay attention to the details I thought this was an easy one!

First off the kit doesn't sit properly in the chassis cup (so this be carved out a little)

The lowers OEM bushing needed to be replaced but I was under the impression the would come with the Kit but no... :( From there decided to make my own off poly
We made them a little thicker because of the sleeve inside protecting us we wanted to have some meat to bolt. They are not the far from the OEM spec too

Ok, thanks for the links!

So did you end up using the original body kit from Superior, or did you order enough PE Rod to make both top and bottom bushings?
What hardness of PE did you end up deciding on?

Ok, thanks for the links!

So did you end up using the original body kit from Superior, or did you order enough PE Rod to make both top and bottom bushings?
What hardness of PE did you end up deciding on?

My pleasure. I did use the superior lift kit yes for the upper part (we machined the puck to fit troopy chassis)

Hardness for the lower one was 70A

Alright, cool. Would you suggest 70A for the uppers as well? (If the kit didn't fit, and they are that easy to make, I'll probably just make the uppers as well as the lowers instead of buying the kit)

Alright, cool. Would you suggest 70A for the uppers as well? (If the kit didn't fit, and they are that easy to make, I'll probably just make the uppers as well as the lowers instead of buying the kit)

The top was harder than 70A with a superior kit. I used the 70A on the bottom to give some flex because the sleeve inside still works when traveling.

The material is not always easy to cut on a tour but drill hole no problem :)

Well seeing as these are only a spacer and I'm keeping the original rubber bushings (mine were in decent condition) I got 3" diameter, 12" length, 90A durometer polyurethane cylinder from universalurethane.com and cut it to 30mm thickness

I then drilled holes in it for the bolts to go through. I got some 10.9 metric bolts, washers, and nuts from McMasterCarr in 130mm (qty 10) and 190mm (qty 2 for the front) lengths.
And Bob's your uncle! A cheap DIY body lift kit! ^_^

I was originally planning to cut the discs down to the diameter of the OE bushings, but I found that I only had to shave a little bit of a chamfer onto the front pucks to fit into the cups, otherwise I put the rest of them between the body and the original bushing. Worked out great, no issues over the past month I've had it installed. And best of all: my tires don't rub any more! and I didn't need to extend my bump stops~!

20220424_163815.jpg

20220424_173710.jpg

20220424_194007.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, to get the pucks in there, I just unbolted all of the OE body mount bolts, put a jack with a 4x4 on it against the pinch weld, and slowly jacked the body up enough to fit the pucks in over the OE bushings. I didn't have to adjust any lines, hoses, or electrical connectors, but there is one heater hose from the engine that you need to keep an eye on.

I also forgot that the radiator is mounted to the body and not the chassis... so I clipped the fan a bit on the shroud when I first tried to start it... :doh:

Had to take that off in a hurry so that I could make the trip back home :rofl:

20220424_192653.jpg

20220424_193116.jpg

20220424_193111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom