Body mounts poly vs rubber? Casting poly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Expensive either way, which do folks prefer and why?
I have polys bushes for my greaseable shackles, happy with them.

If poly, who has had a go at casting themselves from poly casting resin. I saw on Jalopy journal site folks like them hard, like 80-95a shore hardness which is way firmer than the toyota ome rubber mounts would be.

One advantage comes to mind is longer lasting and more chemical resistant for the poly. Other the hand, 30 years on the old ome rubber ones is pretty good. And they feel fine to drive on.

Hello,

Rubber's chemical stability varies, and depends on the composition. If I remember correctly, nitrile rubber is not that stable in the long term.

I prefer polyurethane for suspension bushes. Especially the type that rotates while the suspension operates, thus making wear even.

Regarding body mounts, a little flexibility is always welcome. The 70 Series' ladder frame and body combination is intended to be neither too stiff nor too flexible, and is the reason why you can open and close the doors on a trail while the axles are flexing. OEM mounts are part of that balance, and it is better to keep them in my book. Too much stiffness breaks components.

One more part to add to my list...

Juan

I think polyurethane body mounts are way oversold. Rubber has better vibration damping characteristics. If rubber body mounts only last 10 years compared to 20 for poly, so what? They're not a big deal to replace.

Good call fellas, yep rubber certainly still has a role in this world. Don't see poly tyres yet, they need rubber.
Speaking to a shoe manufacturer the other day, apparently vulcanizing rubber is a real art. Poly would be easier and cheaper to manufacture, my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom