HZJ77 Ball Joint Grease Fitting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front ball joints on my JDM HZJ77 need grease but I can’t find a fitting. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

My front ball joints on my JDM HZJ77 need grease but I can’t find a fitting. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

You need to strip down the hubs & ball joints to grease them properly. To do it properly you want to make sure the CV, the kingpin bearings & the locking hubs are all cleaned & greased with fresh stuff & that means disassembly. You can unbolt the flange at the back of the hub that has the seal against the ball & smear a bit of grease in around there but it won't do that much.

If you haven't stripped a hub like this before find a copy of the factory manual & some youtube vids to get you started. Many 4wds with a beam axle in the front have a similar setup. It's a bit time consuming but well within the realm of a home mechanic, the most technical part is re setting the wheel bearing preload.

Cheers
Clint

Unless you are just referring to the steering linkage ball joints... some come sealed and do not have a grease fitting. If and when the boot tears and the grease comes out, OR they simply wear out, you simply replace them with new ones. Some are rebuildable... but in my experience it is just as cheap to buy the entire tie rod and replace. When you are purchasing replacements, that is when to go with the sealed ones or ones with a grease fitting...

You need to strip down the hubs & ball joints to grease them properly. To do it properly you want to make sure the CV, the kingpin bearings & the locking hubs are all cleaned & greased with fresh stuff & that means disassembly. You can unbolt the flange at the back of the hub that has the seal against the ball & smear a bit of grease in around there but it won't do that much.

If you haven't stripped a hub like this before find a copy of the factory manual & some youtube vids to get you started. Many 4wds with a beam axle in the front have a similar setup. It's a bit time consuming but well within the realm of a home mechanic, the most technical part is re setting the wheel bearing preload.

Cheers
Clint
Clint,

Thanks for the great response and for taking the time to answer my question.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom