HZJ77 and/or KZJ78 in socal to test drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dazed

Blue's Driver
Threads
Hi all
I am coming from the 60 series world where I drove a 2F engine for ages before swapping in an Isuzu turbo diesel engine. I loved the truck, but sold it to help buy a house.

However, I miss owning a Land Cruiser and have heard great things about the HZJ77s and some alright things about KZJ78s. (I am not looking to debate the differences or why one is better than the other...)

I am wondering if there is anyone in SoCal that would be willing to let me test drive theirs. I can provide beer as compensation. I am located in Altadena, next to Pasadena, and will absolutely drive to you! I really want to feel what they are like before completely going down the 70 series path!

Thanks in advance!
Dazed

Yotaimports is saying they have been selling them on their website and it's over 25 years old....so maybe?

Hi all
I am coming from the 60 series world where I drove a 2F engine for ages before swapping in an Isuzu turbo diesel engine. I loved the truck, but sold it to help buy a house.

However, I miss owning a Land Cruiser and have heard great things about the HZJ77s and some alright things about KZJ78s. (I am not looking to debate the differences or why one is better than the other...)

I am wondering if there is anyone in SoCal that would be willing to let me test drive theirs. I can provide beer as compensation. I am located in Altadena, next to Pasadena, and will absolutely drive to you! I really want to feel what they are like before completely going down the 70 series path!

Thanks in advance!
Dazed

Hey there!

I have a BJ74 in Pasadena. It's not an HZJ77, but I have owned an HZJ73 and driven an HZJ77 and they're super similar, and my BJ74 drives almost identically to my HZJ73, only with a funny little tractor motor. If you don't have any luck locating an exactly analog, you're more than welcome to come check out my BJ74 if you want to put your hands on a JDM 70 series and see what they're all about.

I've also driven a KZJ78, and they're rad. They're like a go-kart version of a HZJ77. They're kinda quickish and have coils so the ride is a little more plush, but I prefer to rock solid chuck wagon feel of the HZJ77. The interior of the Prado is more "consumer grade" and loses some of the industrial feel of the 70 series...

Driving a LWB 7* series is not much different to a 60 series. They are on a very similar chassis, suspension and steering. Many other components are also shared.
So if you dont get to drive a 77 series, you wont be in for any surprises if you buy one without driving it.

Like rosco said, there isn't a lot of difference between the 60 and 77 series when it comes to driving them.

I haven't driven a US spec 60 series much but the few times I have felt the same as my 77 with the exception of driver placement (LHD vs RHD) and a better view out back from the rear view mirror.

"Like rosco said, there isn't a lot of difference between the 60 and 77 series when it comes to driving them."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owning a 70 Series is like being invited to sit with the varsity cheerleaders while you're still in junior high whereas the 60 Series is akin to sitting with the guys in the chess club.

"Like rosco said, there isn't a lot of difference between the 60 and 77 series when it comes to driving them."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owning a 70 Series is like being invited to sit with the varsity cheerleaders while you're still in junior high whereas the 60 Series is akin to sitting with the guys in the chess club.

I can't imagine what level the 200 series will bring you to then.

Kidding aside, I do feel like an oddball with a 70 series in San Antonio. It is all about 60 and 80 series with those I know locally, with some 40 series mixed in. No one I know of has a 70 series until I get to Austin but don't really know the Austin crowd that well.

I was in Austin last weekend with my 77 and I didn't see any land cruisers of any series in fact.

Last edited:
I can't imagine what level the 200 series will bring you to then.

Kidding aside, I do feel like an oddball with a 70 series in San Antonio. It is all about 60 and 80 series with those I know locally, with some 40 series mixed in. No one I know of has a 70 series until I get to Austin but don't really know the Austin crowd that well.

I was in Austin last weekend with my 77 and I didn't see any land cruisers of any series in fact.
The 200 Series would only attract the future, high maintenance, trophy wives. I personally like the uniqueness of the 70 Series vs the 60 and 80 Series.

about to send some PMs! thanks everyone.

Also, what if the varsity cheerleader is also in the chess club.......what series is that? A 105?

about to send some PMs! thanks everyone.

Also, what if the varsity cheerleader is also in the chess club.......what series is that? A 105?

nah, 105 would be a cute girl on the debate team. An HDJ101 with a long arm kit that has yet to be developed (cough* cough* @Delta VS cough* I’m moving to California) would be the hot chick who crushes it at chess.

nah, 105 would be a cute girl on the debate team. An HDJ101 with a long arm kit that has yet to be developed (cough* cough* @Delta VS cough* I’m moving to California) would be the hot chick who crushes it at chess.

That’s pretty niche-specific... but then so is a hot chick who crushes it at chess.

Find a BJ60 or an HJ60. A 3B or HJ in a wagon isn't far off of the HZJ in a 77. A 77 is the opposite of a rocket ship and if you don't mind taking forever to get to 100 km/hr the 77, once up to speed, will hold it fairly well. Towing is great downhill... All things considered, wouldn't trade my 77 for anything.

@Dazed what did you end up finding? I am in your area and in the same predicament

Want to add a 70 after long time 60 ownership

@ryanCA , I ended up with a 2013 GX460 that I absolutely love. Much of the decision had to do with ride comfort since its a DD. I would still love a short wheel base 70 to cruise around in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom