HZJ73 Electrical Troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have been working to figure out a few electric issues that seem to have sprung from a water leak I noticed pooling on the driver-side lower corner of the windshield weatherstripping, dripping onto my foot while on the accelerator. I'm hoping to find some suggestions to a few issues. I treated the top of the windshield with a sealant, which doesn't seem to have made an impact. I read on another thread that there may be an issue with the sealing of the collapsible antenna... Not sure how that would bring water in the cabin though.

1:
While fishing around the engine bay, I noticed a pair of wires met with a metal ring that is currently free floating. This is directly underneath the brake fluid repository, and seems to be coming from a larger collection of wires that leads towards the drivers side cabin. I'm guessing this is a ground? I'm assuming this is supposed to be fastened underneath a bolt somewhere...

IMG_5608.jpg
IMG_5607.jpg

2:
This past weekend, the cruiser sat out in the rain overnight while up in NH. I woke up the next morning to the following not working:

- 12v Cigarette lighter
- Radio unit
- The equivalent of an interstate pass in Japan (not sure how it's wired, but sits on the driver's side end of the instrument dash next to the door).

Oddly enough, the clock is still running despite it's close proximity to the first two not working.

I found that the "Cig" fuse was destroyed after locating the fuse panel. I swapped it out for another 15A option that appears to be the same type of fuse, but this did not solve the issue. I pulled and checked the other fuses, but all the others appear to be good.

Any ideas where to begin to bring the cig lighter and radio unit back online? The cig lighter is my only option to charge my phone, so it's a priority to fix. I'm not really sure where to start if the fuse replacement is not a fix.

3:
Conveniently enough, the T-Belt light also went on this weekend at 250k KMs. I'm assuming this is tied to the odometer, as a "you should check it for potential replacement"? It seems too convenient to have gone on at that moment, and after checking the T-belt it seems perfectly fine. If so, how often should these be replaced? Last replacement appears to be at 200k Kms.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hey Sark,

I would have to guess there is an inline fuse for the radio. The radio and Cigarette Lighter are on the same fusible link. I think you are going to have to get into the dash to properly troubleshoot this. I would also take the time to remove the toll device from Japan while you are in there. Take your time and remove the wiring that does not belong and try not to change or alter anything OEM. I think you will find a couple of inline fuses in behind there. Test all the wires and the fuse panel with a meter.

The timing belt should be done every 100,000KM, so if there is a sticker on the housing showing it completed at 200,000KM, you are good, especially if you have already inspected it.

I would try replacing the windshield seal, or take it to a glass shop to have it resealed. The worst place for a leak is right over the fuse box.... 😬

EDIT: Sorry, about point #1, I doubt it is related, but I do not like wires sitting there not connected... but I would take the time to try and trace it bock to see where it is from and confirm. Based on the colors, they look to be ground wires. Before blindly grounding though, trace them back to see what they are from. Good Luck! 😃

Last edited:
Make sure you have time when you start, as this is likely to take a while. I like to use meters for testing electrical, because you can get more information than just a "test light", but if all you have is a test light, then that is better than nothing.

I would start with the surround for the radio, that and the radio you can remove in just a couple of minutes to get in behind and see what has been done/changed/added back there. If your truck is a JDM, the Japanese seem to like their accessories... and leave TONS of bunched up wiring tied up and tucked away in every available orifice.

Try to trace out the toll device and remove that and the antenna from it as that will clear up alot of wiring, and any other unnecessary junk you find. You are looking for inline fuses, likely in cylinder-type plastic housings. Check those fuses. Inspect all wiring around the radio and cigarette lighter. Check for power coming from the fuse box.

Do you have the 70 series electrical diagrams? That can be of some help, if you know how to read them... 🤔

If you have some friends or family that have some experience and aptitude with this kind of thing, grab them some beers and invite them over... Or there might be a MUD member near you willing to help? Or, you can take a road trip up here and I will give you a hand this weekend... 😜

If you mean the rectangle that has two >> above it, that is a harness connection point.

I am assuming you checked all the fuses in the kick panel as you stated above, but did the cig fuse blow again? Or as soon as you replaced the fuse and turned the key on? If the fuse is still good, then you need to trace through the wiring to see where the power is not getting through. To do that you have to contort yourself into all sort of spaghetti like positions and inspect with some kind of tester....

With the diagram, at least you know what wires are carrying the power....

Well, after about 5.5hrs of figuring out how to disassemble the front end of the cabin (including removing the passenger seat entirely to clean up spilled popcorn) I have managed to fix the cig/radio, and reset the T-belt light. No idea what I did to fix the issue with the cig/radio being off, but I'd have to guess it was a loose cable etc. somewhere along the way. Wish I could have found something in particular to be the cause, but it works for now so at least there's that. Also, some sort of reservoir fell out of the bottom of my passenger seat, looks like a lubricant reservoir. No idea where it came from but that's a problem for another day. Still have no idea what that "ground" from the engine bay leads to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom