Hydro Boost Brakes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FL cruiser said:
I've made my own hydroboost adapter. Took an old mini truck booster, cut the mounting area with studs off the back with a die grinder. Then welded on a round washer in the center with the same inside ID as the hydroboost onto the plate I cut off the booster. Bolts right up to the LC firewall without having to do any firewall mods.
You can use the LC booster for a donor, if you don't mind destroying it, but minitruck boosters have the same mounting and pattern too.

if you have the time, you should do a write up with some pictures or diagrams to illustrate the mod and the after effect.

this would make a good FAQ in the sticky pages.

if They can get away with it, the insurance company will call any accident that involves some part broken on your rig that wasn't somebody elses fault " failure to maintain vehicle" I had wheel studs break and a tire fly off of my truck, and it's my fault, raised my insurance and everything.

FL cruiser said:
I've made my own hydroboost adapter. Took an old mini truck booster, cut the mounting area with studs off the back with a die grinder. Then welded on a round washer in the center with the same inside ID as the hydroboost onto the plate I cut off the booster. Bolts right up to the LC firewall without having to do any firewall mods.
You can use the LC booster for a donor, if you don't mind destroying it, but minitruck boosters have the same mounting and pattern too.

you have pics, diagrams for the lines . ?

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I picked up a hydroboost setup out of a chevy Astrovan today. I'm hoping to install it in my 4runner, with a 2lt-II in it. The 2lt series motors have one of those annoying alternators with the vacuum pump mounted on the back, but, my alt. died a couple of years back. Rather than rebuild the 60 amp alternator, I decided to graft on a GM unit. It's a pretty ugly job, but it got the job done. I used a GM 1 wire, cause that's what I had, but part of the reason I wanted to swap to a 'regular' alternator, is the fact that you can get the 3 wire units which can run a tachometer, which my rig, being a conversion, doesn't have (and sourcing the parts to get the original tach system working is proving way hard). And, one last benefit, is that I used the ports for the oil which used to lube the old vacuum unit, to install a bypass oil filter. All in all a handy little set of upgrades.

Right now I'm driving around with a 12v vacuum pump installed to give me my extra braking power, but that thing is loud, and annoying. I mounted it several places, but currently I have it mounted to the rearmost crossmember of the truck, back by the spare tire, just to try and keep the noise down. I don't like it back there though, because I have to run vac. lines all the way up front, as well as running power to the unit - too much wire to get damaged somehow, and having the vacuum back where it could get soaked on a deep water crossing is not cool. So, hydroboost it is.

But, while picking up the hydroboost unit today, I forgot to check which port was for front brakes, and which were for back. It's got two ports for brake lines - the one at the front of the unit is a little bigger - I'm assuming this is for the front brakes, but want to be sure (makes sense, since there are two brake lines for the front wheels, and they do the most stopping - the rear just has the one brake line running to it). Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks,

Spruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom