HY-Steer for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40 with the original front axle.  I am looking for HY-Steer, but I am having a problem finding what I need.  All-Pro says the knuckles have a different bolt pattern (Size) from 78 and earlier vs. the 79-85 kits they sell.  SKY says the will fit their 79-85 kit, and RBS says they might fit.  Who is correct on this, I really need to get my steering done.  BTW, if anyone has Hy-steer they want to get rid of, please let me know... :G

option 1: change knuckles to 79+ Cruiser or minitruck and have the option of dozens of kits.

option 2: RockBuggySupply.com supposedly has the proper arms available....texican has installed them and said they were nice.

I intend to swap on minitruck knuckles and use one of the more common hi-steer arm setups.

Option 1 is the best... don't hesitate - just swap them & do not look back.

I went with the Kong's Hy-steer on my 40 and it is so SWEET!

OK - does anyone have a set of 79-and later knuckles they want to sell???? I intended to rebuild my front axle completely in the next two weeks before I re-install it, so is this an easy swap? Where can I find these? It seems that all of those early solid axles with those parts are being gobbled up by the 4 runner guys :cry: Hopefully the texican will chime in on this and help me out, with pics and such. :beer:

Rock Buggy doesn't have the small bolt pattern arms in stock and they are not making them any time soon. I went with Mike at Bent & Twisted 530-342-3003. He was real easy to deal with and sent it out the day that I called. The kit should arrive today, I'll let you know more after it is installed.

I have a spare mini truck axle that I could take the knuckles off of. You will need new rotors and one lockout hub though. I will take the knuckles off for you if shipping is a problem. Let me know.

all you "need" is the knuckles, everything else bolts up. Longfields do not require minitruck lockouts either, tho those are stronger than the Warn or Superwinch models.

The only differences between the minitruck knuckle and the 76-78 Cruiser knuckles is the size of the studs that attach the arms and the pattern.

Since longfields no longer require a core, no reason to purchase the mini birfs either....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom