Hung up the RTT today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is over 8' up. I used a nylon rope from my well, so it has no elasticity. The pulleys are marine nylon, kind of expensive, but
they last a long time and are virtually friction free. I mounted the roof racks to the tent exactly as they mount to the truck. So
I don't have to try to reattach the tent each time either. So this solves your issue as well. I designed the width of the pulleys
so they are 1" wider than the tent so the ropes don't 'pinch' the sides of the tent over time and possibly distort the sides.
The pulleys are also exactly the same gap as the roof bars so each rope pulls completely vertical. There is no lateral tension
at all. I started with the tent actually on 30" high saw horses not the top of the truck. I figure there is a chance I need to put it
on a trailer or just to clean it. Almost forgot, I used 1 1/2" #10 screws to hold the pulleys, I don't expect any issues with
them to pull out or shear. The cargo straps are for my paranoia, security blanket idea.

IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

So basically, I don't have to do anything except back in, lower it down, tighten the clamps and done.
I put a spacer between the rack towers and taped them in so they don't shift and are always exact
to the truck.

Very nice Jon. I like it. Makes owning one of those so much easier (and it'll last a long time out of the weather).

It was outside on top of the 40 all winter with foam mattress and bedding in it.
I opened it up, fairly optimistic, but I hung everything up to air out and it was
good. All dry and NO mildew. I could have slept in it that night, but this is way
better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom