Huming sound and steering play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I brought my 97 LC to the dealer to fix the humming sound from front passenger wheel and also swirly sterring while driving on highway.
1. Humming sound - Front wheel bearing was loose so replaced it.
2. Swirly driving - Sttering gear needed to be adjusted to firm up the steering.

Much improved but now, I am noticing the humm from rear passenger side but when I take the foot off the accelerator pedal, it goes away. What could be causing this?

Do you have a name?

I'm a bit worried by the steering box adjustment, there is NO adjustment(for play), yes there is a adjustment but its for the pre-load of the steering box.....it really has no effect on play and if it does they cranked it down to far and your box is prolly gonna be toast.......someday.

maybe I'm wrong on a 93+ 80, but this is the case on older boxs.

John H

??? Not highjack the thread, but I had some questions about the steering box as well, play at the shaft prior to the box indicates the box is going bad/worn right? I have no play after the box and no seepage or leaks??? Did the backlash adjustment and no help there. Should I be looking for a rebuilt box? :-[

[quote author=Seminole link=board=2;threadid=5690;start=msg45161#msg45161 date=1064595887]
??? Not highjack the thread, but I had some questions about the steering box as well, play at the shaft prior to the box indicates the box is going bad/worn right? I have no play after the box and no seepage or leaks??? Did the backlash adjustment and no help there. Should I be looking for a rebuilt box? :-[
[/quote]

sounds like someday yes :( or get yours rebuilt. Now I don't know where i heard this or if I'm imagining things, but I "thought" a latter fj60/62 box is the same as a 91-2 fj80 box.....not sure and i have never looked at my 60/62/80 to see if they are the same.......but I sware I heard this was the case.

It could be your Fuel Pump, as when your rig is under load it will hum, but when you take the load off by stepping off of the gas pedal it stops, which indicated a fuel pump. specially if it is coming from the rear.

My $0.02

Al

???Photoman, thnx for the info, it was your original post on the old SOR forum that prompted me to try that. Either I didn't adjust enough or my box is going downhill. The play/backlash is definitely out side of spec. per FSM. That's why asked about A rebuilt box. I hate to pay 1200-1600 bucks for a new one!!! :mad:

44110-60211, list $2,332.01 :'(

Seminole,
Sorry to hear it did not help at all. If a box needs adjusted from your description it is definitely going down hill. Also, there is a limit as to much help you can give it. Experience (i.e. feel) is the best teacher as to the correct adjustment. The garage method would probably be to remove the pitman arm; make the adjustments, and measure the drag over center at the steering wheel with an inch lb. torque wrench. Here is another way to do it if you are willing to take the time and chance. Keep in mind all adjustments should be made with the steering wheel on center with the tires straight. Do as I said originally - jack the whole front end up - loosen the jam nut on the box - then tighten the adjusting screw down tight. Please be careful about this, don't lose the screw into the box. If it won't tighten by then quit as the thing is really shot. Anyway, then back the adjusting screw off a little and check for that feel of drag over center. There is a danger this way of overtightening and when you fire it up, may not be able to turn one way or the other. If it does just back it off a little more and try again. I would be suprised if you cannot get some improvement; but I've been suprised before. Good luck and keep in mind you will have to feed Dan's dogs sooner or later. Remember to tighten the jam nut.
Bill

Thanks again Photo. That procedure is exactly what I did and I still have play. I am hoping that afterthe knuckle rebuild and birfield repack, some bushing replacemnts and some tie rod and relay rod work, I'll be able to buy a little more time. It is fine to drive but the play increases with speed. IE at slow speeds the play is not too noticeable but at hwy speed it is. I am about 1/2" out of spec at at rest.
C-dan is there a "smart shopper" price with installments? Cruiserparts.net has rblt's for 500$. figured on swapping out and getting the old one rebulit for a spare. Thanks again.

Figure about $1,750.00. Still a pile of cash but almost 600 bucks less painful.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom