How's this for rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, here is my second post and I've just acquired this fj62 as a trade. Truck currently has almost 160k on engine and trans rebuilt 6k ago. Below are some pics of the under carriage and suspension areas. Please give me advise in terms of rust solutions... by the way it was from Minnesota, but spent the past 5 years in SO. CAL..
Thanks all,
Brian

rust points 053.jpg

rust points 045.jpg

rust points 037.jpg

rust points 042.jpg

rust points 050.jpg

rust points 036.jpg

Most of it looks like surface rust. I would check the frame joints.

That is mild. Do some browsing and find some serious rust. Batman has some good examples. Search for my "Pink 60" thread--that's rust!

Seriously, your frame and suspension doesn't appear to be in jeopardy. That patch inside the driver door is typical. Mine has a 4" long hole in that very spot.

The rusted fasteners/connectors under the hood are unsightly and I understand your frustration. I don't think anything short of replacing them one by one will resolve the problem---you may try some solvent and a wire brush (pull the fastener to clean), but I don't think they'll be restorable to "like new" condition.

Somebody else chime in if you know a good solution.

Man, that's not bad at all. Given that you are in dry So Cal, I don't know if you really need to do anything about it.

Yes, I have seen much worse as well on a truck that I think must have spent a lot of time near the coast with humidity and salt air. The entire undercarriage was flaking away one layer at a time.

I think you should be able to take a wire wheel to the underside then coat with a good rust inhibitor (POR-15?). The only pic that is worrisome is this one...

rust%20points%20037.jpg

my 60 came from Long Island, NY and it has RUST. If even your troublesome pic was on my rig I would be a very happy man. I wouldn't do anything, but then again if I had a truck that was that rust free I guess I would take care of it. Mine is past the point of no return so I just smile when I think of it and don't bother. I am just trying to get my drivetrain really solid and other accessories so when I get to CA and find a nice body and fram with a vlown engine or other big drivetrain problems I can just swap it all over. congratulations on the trade. post some more pics of the rig.

Wow, thanks for all your comforting opinions. I've never dealt with anything close to the amount of rust I have now, but from all the feedbacks I am really confident about taking this thing off road. I just don't want anything to snap over a log or such.
FYi, there's a fj62 for sale down my street and it seems it's been well taken care of. It is a so. cal truck, probably all its life. Although it has 250k the paint and undercarriage are spotless. If anyone is interested, I can get you the phone number. Color is granite dark or charcoal grey, very shinny. ASKING $4900

I'll post more pics of my rig soon after the smog and wash.:)

Thanks,
Brian

what rust?

That rust doesn't look bad. Of course, I'm from the midwest.

the worst rust would probably be on the door hinge area. That looks like it might be close enough to poke a screw driver through it.

Up here in Vermont, we call that "mint." :D

Seriously though, hit it wiht a wire wwheel and slap on some POR15 if you are worried about it.

The underside of my 85 4runner looks slightly worse, I hit it with a wire wheel and painted on a good coat of Bar & Chain oil and it's been fine ever since.

cruserfetish, where'd you buy your 60? I recently (last year & a half) sold two 60s, a canary yellow '86, and a royal blue '85. Both had some nice Northeast rot. I tell ya though, these things hold solid even with a bunch of rail rot. At least mine did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom