How widespread was the 100 series front diff issue? Did Toyota ever fix it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can confirm this is solid advice. Come over to Hot Springs for the Cruiser Crawl and watch guys in FJ40s destroy their drive shafts and everything else that moves. Since my TC 3:1 4L regear to get more power, I can now shred outer OEM CV axle repza ball cages like a pro.

I found this comparison video which show how essential lockers are on these heavy Land Cruiser wagons - not just for capability, but also protecting the IFS. The '99 LX470 (rear LSD only?), really struggles on the hill climb after the 80 and 200 get up with the help of momentum, good lines, and ATRAC in the case of the latter. The driver of the 100 series may have been inexperienced and had less traction after the trail being churned up by the preceding 80 and 200 series, but he does end up breaking his front diff - likely R&P or spider gears. 80s and 200s can break too in similar situations, but the CVs are usually the fuse instead of the diff, as I understand it.

Last edited:
I found this comparison video which show how essential lockers are on these heavy Land Cruiser wagons - not just for capability, but also protecting the IFS. The '99 LX470 (rear LSD only?), really struggles on the hill climb after the 80 and 200 get up with the help of momentum, good lines, and ATRAC in the case of the latter. The driver of the 100 series may have been inexperienced and had less traction after the trail being churned up by the preceding 80 and 200 series, but he does end up breaking his front diff - likely R&P and spider gears. 80s and 200s can break too in similar situations, but the CVs are usually the fuse instead of the diff, as I understand it.

I installed the Harrop eLocker as one of the first enhancements on my 99 LX470. There was a case when climbing a sharp turn incline on Imogene when we had to turn on the locker to make it up the hill. I used the front locker a lot to get up steep climbs when I was running with the ATRAC guys. To be credible, the video creator should have used a 2000 model LX with ATRAC. My thoughts when watching the video: "Well Bozo what do you think would happen?"

I think they shied away from it after the 80 series since they likely weren’t sure if IFS could hold up to the stresses of a front locker, specifically the CVs. They’re only just starting to offer OEM front lockers in the newest gen Tacomas and Land Cruisers.
I was pretty sure the engineer for the new Tacoma said no front locker actually. So that leaves only the 300 series landcruiser getting a front locker, which we aren't' getting here.

No front lockers with IFS from Toyota for our trucks or SUVs. Interesting that Ford and Chevy have no issue here.

I found this comparison video which show how essential lockers are on these heavy Land Cruiser wagons - not just for capability, but also protecting the IFS. The '99 LX470 (rear LSD only?), really struggles on the hill climb after the 80 and 200 get up with the help of momentum, good lines, and ATRAC in the case of the latter. The driver of the 100 series may have been inexperienced and had less traction after the trail being churned up by the preceding 80 and 200 series, but he does end up breaking his front diff - likely R&P or spider gears. 80s and 200s can break too in similar situations, but the CVs are usually the fuse instead of the diff, as I understand it.

"It's just rocks hitting your skid plate, bro". Famous last words.

I was pretty sure the engineer for the new Tacoma said no front locker actually. So that leaves only the 300 series landcruiser getting a front locker, which we aren't' getting here.

No front lockers with IFS from Toyota for our trucks or SUVs. Interesting that Ford and Chevy have no issue here.
I think they’re being offered in the 250 series.

I think they’re being offered in the 250 series.
Nah, Toyota has yet to offer front locker in IFS to US customers. It's interesting, we should find a retired Toyota engineer on linked in and drag his ass here to get the real scoop on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom