How WIDE a tire for a DD ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is going to be expensive, with little chance to resell or do-overs. (minimum: custom basic steel wheels, tires, hand studding, fender flares)

Point 1. Summer is so short here in AK, and my time is spread so thin. The amount of time the trails are dry, is pretty short (weeks?, a month?).

Point 2. My Toyo Open country MT's do remarkably well in the snow for an MT, but I need a set of studded tires.

Point 3. My FZJ80 is my DD

Point 4. I may be building a rig with enhanced capabilities, but the reality is that 90% of the time a DD will be on winter city streets.

I am pretty far along in building my 95 FZJ 80, but wondering if I changed gears to something along the lines of the Iceland Arctic Trucks, if I would have more trail time. It will require a change in direction. These guys go light weight and seem to favor big wide tires with a less aggressive tread.

Has anybody run tires with 13" or 14" tread width as a daily driver? (I will switch back to the MT's in the summer)

Dick Cepek F-C Kevlar Tires

If I go with stock BS but a significantly wider wheel (10" or 12") will I need to be concerned with frame rub? (currently have 4" Slee lift and run 35's with no problem)

Just trying to get more time on the trails

There was a good article in the march/april '07 issue of toyota4wdowner that covered what they did on their icelandic tacomas

I'm running 37x 14.5" wide bias IROK's on my '93 FZJ 80. I like the extra width, but only run them in the summer months. They handle a lot better than the old TSL's that I've run, and with the siping and tread compound they actually do pretty go on the snow and ice. I'm running 35" BFG all terrains for winter use though. The Irok's take a bit more wheel spin to clean out in the deap bogs though. I helped a friend set up his Lexas with 35" Interco Truxus- I would go with those for a daily driving/wheeling tire. They do great on snow and ice and clean out better than most mud terrain tires in the mud. They are truly "baby swampers". You may want to try the Pit Bull Rockers, I've heard some good about their street abilities also and they are pretty wide. What part of AK are you located?

thanks for the inputs. I am pretty set on 35-36 diameter tires. I was only wondering how wide & BS for a DD.

I have been researching this trip. (I thought it would be cool to drive over the Arctic Circle).

http://www.littlesquawgold.com/Files/docs/Buzzel_Chandalar_Rpt.pdf

Check out the map on page 2 (page of the document not the PDF)
And the recent accounts on page 105, 107.

I was hoping that after a few tons of equipment passed over the trail in March, there would be a fairly good ice road for wheeled vehicles into Chandalar Lake in the Brooks Range

I spoke with a few of the old timers and it doesn't look promising. So now I am not so motivated to put out the dough for super wide tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom