How To Take the Throttle Body Off For Cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to clean my throttle body this weekend and maybe replace my VSV. Does anyone have pics or step by step instructions on how to remove the throttle body? How long should it take? I have searched, but no one really has step by step pics. Is it an easy job to do? I am pretty handy with tools and instructions. Please help. Thanks!

Its not too hard. Take off the big tube to the air cleaner. Disconnect the 3 cables after marking the adjustment. Disconnect all other hoses you can reach as well as the connectors to the IAC and TPS. You'll need an extension to get a socket on the bolts that hold it on.

There are also 2 coolant hoses that connect to the TB. I think its easier to unhook these after it loose, but I can't really remember.

There is also a metal gasket between the TB and intake.

As stated previously, pretty straightforward stuff. Here's a pic to give you warm and fuzzy! It's upside down so the coolant hoses and vacuum hoses are more visible. Ignore the red circle...

WaterportTBI.jpg

If we follow the FSM (my comments in parenthesis):

1. Disconnect neg batt terminal
2. Drain Coolant (NOT NECESSARY - you'll have very little coolant leak out)
3. Disconnect Cruise control cable
4. Disconnect Accelerator Cable
5. Disconnect Throttle Cable
(When removing the cables it's a good idea to tape/mark/count threads so that you can re-attach without having to do any/much adjustment)
6. Disconnect Air Cleaner Hose (Don't bend it as it can be brittle and will break between the ribs. When removing the Mass Air Flow sensor plug, remove it by way of the metal wire clip, do not remove the two screws.)
7. Disconnect the No 2 PCV hose
8. Disconnect the EVAP hose
9. Disconnect vacuum hoses
10. Disconnect the No 2 water bypass hose
(take note of where ALL hoses were removed from)
11. Disconnect Thottle Position Sensor
12. Disconnect Idle Air Control Valve
13. A. Remove the 4 bolts holding the TB to the intake chamber (15 lb/ft when re-installing)
B. Remove the TB gasket (replacement part)
C. Disconnect the No 1 water bypass hose.

(You might as well replace the vac and water hoses while you're at it. Although my vac hoses were all clear on the inside I did notice several of them were fatigued at the attachment points and weren't creating much of a seal.)

292387521_PV7e2-L.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend buying the coolant bypass hose that runs from the back of the throttle body down to the block. I put TB back on with the original hose but I don't like the condition it was in (I ordered a new one today). Also, if you can get a little pick set (dental tools work well) to clean out the EGR pipe in the intake manifold I would HIGHLY recommend doing this. I believe this was where my intermittent P0401 code was coming from, as the tunnel was packed full of carbon and loose chunks of carbon build up. I picked a lot of it out, filled the tube with TB cleaner, picked more, more cleaner..... it wasn't spotless at the end, but it was a good sight better. I also unscrewed the EGR temp sensor and sprayed/picked through there.

I would also have a few sizes of vacuum hose and some fuel hose on hand to replace all the original ones you can get your hands on. All in all, not a hard job but a fun way to spend a few hours working on your truck!

Coolant bypass hose (lower left dripping red coolant)
IMG_0005.JPG

Outlet of dirty EGR tube
IMG_0011.JPG

One last thing. I don't have my FSM nearby but I seem to remember the Throttle Position sensor involving some fancy work to set up if you remove it, so I didn't remove mine.

6. Disconnect Air Cleaner Hose (Don't bend it as it can be brittle and will break between the ribs. When removing the Mass Air Flow sensor plug, remove it by way of the metal wire clip, do not remove the two screws.)

I learned the hard way on this:mad:
I am waiting for the new MAF sensor to get here Monday to the tune of $600

That sucks dude! This would've been the time to upgrade to Landtank's MAF for less cashola!

what are y'all using to clean out the TB?

Thanks everyone! I am using everyone's advice in tackling this job! :)

Reviving an old thread, but what exactly did you do to it? Did you break the connector or ruin the sensor or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom