How To: Stuck Sunroof Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has obviously been covered before, but I haven't seen a thread showing what to do with the sunroof cassette once you've got it out of the truck. I'm going to try to focus in on that and just briefly touch on the parts of the process covered in existing threads. Mods, please feel free to combine with others if that works better.

Like many others here, my sunroof was frozen in the closed position when I bought my truck. The front drains were also clogged, which was likely the root cause of the sunroof failure as water had overflowed the drip tray and was sitting on the cables and in the cable guide housing.

Before starting the job, I ordered both drive cables, and the cable guide from PartSouq:

Toyota63221-60030CASING, SLIDING ROOF CABLE GUIDE
Toyota63224-60030CABLE, SLIDING ROOF DRIVE, LH
Toyota63223-60030CABLE, SLIDING ROOF DRIVE, RH

My truck is a 99, in looking at other sunroof threads it appears in later years Toyota stopped listing these individual parts and will only sell the entire sunroof cassette. Others have noted that these earlier parts will fit later years, but YMMV as I can't independently verify that.

1. Remove lower and upper interior trim panels

This has been covered in other threads, and I will add some pictures of the FSM pages detailing this. A set of trim removal tools is a must if you don't want to damage anything. The basic order of operations is rear to front, lower to upper. I followed the FSM procedure which includes removal of the lower interior trim panels. Others have mentioned they can remove the upper panels without removing the lower, and this is true, I just wanted to be extra careful not to damage anything.

As has been noted in other threads as well, some of the assist grip handles are what I would call "unnecessarily tight" I knew this ahead of time, I used the right tools, and I still managed to strip out the head of the driver side B pillar grip and had to drill it out. I'd recommend a hand impact driver for these. Also, JIS bits will help immensely, some of the screw heads on mine were "pre-buggered" and the only reason I was able to get them out is I could reach down past the damaged area with my JIS bits. Phillips will want to cam out almost immediately.

stripped_screw.jpg

hand_impact.jpg

2. Remove sun visors and clips
3. Remove front overhead center console
4. Remove rear HVAC control panel
5. Remove both dome lights
6. Remove sunroof opening trim
7. Remove black button push-in clips around perimeter of headliner
8. Remove headliner

headliner_removed.jpg

9. Remove glass from sunroof assembly by removing the interior black trim pieces and 4 nuts holding roof glass to drive cables

nuts.jpg

10. The sunroof cassette assembly is held by two nuts at the front and a series of bolts around the perimeter. A helper would be beneficial here, but I was able to drop the assembly myself by removing all but the center two fasteners, then sitting in the 2nd row center seat and supporting the assembly with my head while removing the final two bolts and dropping it down.

At this point, this is now what you should be looking at.

roof_cassette.jpg

11. Remove the rear drip tray, it's the crosswise piece with "646" on it in the photo above, it simply unclips from the drive cables

12. Remove the stoppers for the fabric sunshade and the drive cables. The drive cable stoppers are the brass colored screws with the round plastic stopper and the sunshade stoppers are the rectangular pieces at the rear of the rails near the blob of old nasty grease in the photo below.

roof_stoppers.jpg

13. Slide the sun shade out of the rail and set it aside somewhere it will stay clean, the next part is messy.

14. At this point, the FSM will simply tell you to slide the old drive cables out by hand. Well, there's no way it's going to go that easily. Since I knew I was replacing both the cables and the guide, I cut the old cable and guides with a hack saw as close to the rails as I could to reduce the amount of old cable I'd need to drag through with me. I then hosed down the cable, rail and what was left of the cut down guide tube with PB Blaster and went inside to eat dinner.

After an hour or so, I placed a large flat blade screwdriver against the block where the cable attaches and came up with my best expletives to mutter as I "persuaded" the old cables to come out with a rubber mallet against the screwdriver. See the photo below, place the screwdriver against the red rectangle and whack with rubber mallet from right to left (cable should be moving toward the rear of the guide rail).

roof_drive.jpg

15. Once you have both old drive cables out of the rails, you can remove the wind deflector, guide blocks, and the plastic drip tray. Now you want to thoroughly clean all of the old dried up grease out of the rails. I used tons of simple green and an old toothbrush to make sure it was all clean. I also used a bit of emery paper to smooth out a couple of little burrs in the rail. This is also a great time to really clean the drip tray and make sure the drain ports are clean since at this point in the job, you're really questioning why you needed your sunroof to work anyway, and that you definitely don't want the drains clogging and having to come in here to do this again.

16. Remove the old cable guide tubes and attach your nice new ones.

17. Re-attach the guide blocks, drip tray and wind deflector to the rails. Re-grease the rails with your grease of choice. It looked like Toyota used white lithium grease, so that 's what I used, but maybe there's something better out there now?

18. Slide your new drive cables into the rails making sure the cable routes properly into its channel in the rail as well as enters the guide tube without pinching or binding.

19. You now need to properly align the cables into the roof closed and tilted down position. Look again at the photo above and you'll see a little "window" cut into the drive assembly. The cable is in proper alignment in the photo, when the single indicator line on the drive cable aligns with the middle of three indicators on the outside of the "window" In order to achieve this alignment, you need to move the same block in the red rectangle above forward or back until the marks align properly. This is the same block you banged against with the screwdriver to remove the old cables.

This is probably a good time to mention there is a similar alignment indicator for the motor drive. But, since my roof was stuck in the fully closed position, I assumed the motor was properly aligned, and in fact it was.

At this point everything is mostly reverse of disassembly to get it all back together. Glass height can be adjusted by loosening the small torx screws just below the nuts that attach the glass to the sliding roof assembly.

The FSM specs normal run time for the roof to be approximately 6 seconds. Mine timed in at 6.8 sec after this repair, which seems a bit slow but might still be within "approximately" tolerance?, It may be down to the motor being a bit tired, or there being some old thick grease in the motor/gear assembly.

Some final takeaways from this. This isn't a job for the faint of heart, or if you're short on time to work. It took me two full days, although I did some extra-credit projects as well with the headliner out in running the microphone for my Pioneer head unit up the A piller and to the center console area with the homelink.

The design of this roof mechanism definitely seems very prone to failure from both water and/or dirt accumulating on the cables. I think these roofs are definitely a use it or loose it feature and periodic exercising, cleaning, and re-greasing are key to longevity.

Great info and thank you. I would love to hear from anybody who has personally revived their sunroof on a newer 100, mines a 2005 and I could justify tackling this but can’t justify $2000 for the entire assembly

Great write up, thanks.
I will try to tackle this one day as mine moonroof isn't moving at all anymore, the same as yours.

What is the deal with the rattle in the sunroof when driving with it closed?!?
I'm not sure, mine doesn't rattle when closed thankfully. It does occasionally rattle when using the slide function to open it, but it's because of my horrible aftermarket rear overhead entertainment screen bouncing slightly against the glass. You could maybe try playing with the glass height adjustment and making sure it's pushed fully up and tight. There are four torx screws at the corners that can be loosened and the glass either pushed up higher or allowed to drop down slightly. Maybe those have loosened up allowing some movement while driving?

This has obviously been covered before, but I haven't seen a thread showing what to do with the sunroof cassette once you've got it out of the truck. I'm going to try to focus in on that and just briefly touch on the parts of the process covered in existing threads. Mods, please feel free to combine with others if that works better.

Like many others here, my sunroof was frozen in the closed position when I bought my truck. The front drains were also clogged, which was likely the root cause of the sunroof failure as water had overflowed the drip tray and was sitting on the cables and in the cable guide housing.

Before starting the job, I ordered both drive cables, and the cable guide from PartSouq:

My truck is a 99, in looking at other sunroof threads it appears in later years Toyota stopped listing these individual parts and will only sell the entire sunroof cassette. Others have noted that these earlier parts will fit later years, but YMMV as I can't independently verify that.

This has been covered in other threads, and I will add some pictures of the FSM pages detailing this. A set of trim removal tools is a must if you don't want to damage anything. The basic order of operations is rear to front, lower to upper. I followed the FSM procedure which includes removal of the lower interior trim panels. Others have mentioned they can remove the upper panels without removing the lower, and this is true, I just wanted to be extra careful not to damage anything.

As has been noted in other threads as well, some of the assist grip handles are what I would call "unnecessarily tight" I knew this ahead of time, I used the right tools, and I still managed to strip out the head of the driver side B pillar grip and had to drill it out. I'd recommend a hand impact driver for these. Also, JIS bits will help immensely, some of the screw heads on mine were "pre-buggered" and the only reason I was able to get them out is I could reach down past the damaged area with my JIS bits. Phillips will want to cam out almost immediately.

stripped_screw.jpg

hand_impact.jpg

8. Remove headliner

headliner_removed.jpg

9. Remove glass from sunroof assembly by removing the interior black trim pieces and 4 nuts holding roof glass to drive cables

nuts.jpg

10. The sunroof cassette assembly is held by two nuts at the front and a series of bolts around the perimeter. A helper would be beneficial here, but I was able to drop the assembly myself by removing all but the center two fasteners, then sitting in the 2nd row center seat and supporting the assembly with my head while removing the final two bolts and dropping it down.

roof_cassette.jpg

11. Remove the rear drip tray, it's the crosswise piece with "646" on it in the photo above, it simply unclips from the drive cables

12. Remove the stoppers for the fabric sunshade and the drive cables. The drive cable stoppers are the brass colored screws with the round plastic stopper and the sunshade stoppers are the rectangular pieces at the rear of the rails near the blob of old nasty grease in the photo below.

roof_stoppers.jpg

13. Slide the sun shade out of the rail and set it aside somewhere it will stay clean, the next part is messy.

14. At this point, the FSM will simply tell you to slide the old drive cables out by hand. Well, there's no way it's going to go that easily. Since I knew I was replacing both the cables and the guide, I cut the old cable and guides with a hack saw as close to the rails as I could to reduce the amount of old cable I'd need to drag through with me. I then hosed down the cable, rail and what was left of the cut down guide tube with PB Blaster and went inside to eat dinner.

After an hour or so, I placed a large flat blade screwdriver against the block where the cable attaches and came up with my best expletives to mutter as I "persuaded" the old cables to come out with a rubber mallet against the screwdriver. See the photo below, place the screwdriver against the red rectangle and whack with rubber mallet from right to left (cable should be moving toward the rear of the guide rail).

roof_drive.jpg

15. Once you have both old drive cables out of the rails, you can remove the wind deflector, guide blocks, and the plastic drip tray. Now you want to thoroughly clean all of the old dried up grease out of the rails. I used tons of simple green and an old toothbrush to make sure it was all clean. I also used a bit of emery paper to smooth out a couple of little burrs in the rail. This is also a great time to really clean the drip tray and make sure the drain ports are clean since at this point in the job, you're really questioning why you needed your sunroof to work anyway, and that you definitely don't want the drains clogging and having to come in here to do this again.

17. Re-attach the guide blocks, drip tray and wind deflector to the rails. Re-grease the rails with your grease of choice. It looked like Toyota used white lithium grease, so that 's what I used, but maybe there's something better out there now?

18. Slide your new drive cables into the rails making sure the cable routes properly into its channel in the rail as well as enters the guide tube without pinching or binding.

19. You now need to properly align the cables into the roof closed and tilted down position. Look again at the photo above and you'll see a little "window" cut into the drive assembly. The cable is in proper alignment in the photo, when the single indicator line on the drive cable aligns with the middle of three indicators on the outside of the "window" In order to achieve this alignment, you need to move the same block in the red rectangle above forward or back until the marks align properly. This is the same block you banged against with the screwdriver to remove the old cables.

This is probably a good time to mention there is a similar alignment indicator for the motor drive. But, since my roof was stuck in the fully closed position, I assumed the motor was properly aligned, and in fact it was.

At this point everything is mostly reverse of disassembly to get it all back together. Glass height can be adjusted by loosening the small torx screws just below the nuts that attach the glass to the sliding roof assembly.

The FSM specs normal run time for the roof to be approximately 6 seconds. Mine timed in at 6.8 sec after this repair, which seems a bit slow but might still be within "approximately" tolerance?, It may be down to the motor being a bit tired, or there being some old thick grease in the motor/gear assembly.

Some final takeaways from this. This isn't a job for the faint of heart, or if you're short on time to work. It took me two full days, although I did some extra-credit projects as well with the headliner out in running the microphone for my Pioneer head unit up the A piller and to the center console area with the homelink.

The design of this roof mechanism definitely seems very prone to failure from both water and/or dirt accumulating on the cables. I think these roofs are definitely a use it or loose it feature and periodic exercising, cleaning, and re-greasing are key to longevity.
If

stripped_screw.jpg

hand_impact.jpg

8. Remove headliner

headliner_removed.jpg

nuts.jpg

roof_cassette.jpg

roof_stoppers.jpg

roof_drive.jpg

If there is a better how-to on this forum, I'd love to see it.

I will surely have more questions later, but for now:

* I can't read the name of that impact driver. Husky maybe? Looks super rugged. Can you recommend it?
* Great tip on JIS bits. Are these pretty generic, or is there a preferred brand?
* I know a local guy who does this work for dealers, and he said the typical approach is to get the cassette from a junkyard. Did you consider that option?
* OK last question: I know you gave the YMMV disclaimer, but is there any reason to believe these parts would not fit a 2003?

Thanks to @dbfw and anyone else for their take.

Dack

If

If there is a better how-to on this forum, I'd love to see it.

I will surely have more questions later, but for now:

* I can't read the name of that impact driver. Husky maybe? Looks super rugged. Can you recommend it?
* Great tip on JIS bits. Are these pretty generic, or is there a preferred brand?
* I know a local guy who does this work for dealers, and he said the typical approach is to get the cassette from a junkyard. Did you consider that option?
* OK last question: I know you gave the YMMV disclaimer, but is there any reason to believe these parts would not fit a 2003?

Thanks to @dbfw and anyone else for their take.

Dack
Hey, sorry for the late reply on this I've been traveling recently.

The impact driver is nothing special, I inherited it with a bunch of other second hand tools when my cousin moved house. It is Husky brand, but any hand impact would do the trick, I don't think it needs to be particularly heavy duty.

As long as bits conform to the JIS standard, brand shouldn't matter too much. You can actually even make your own by grinding down the tip of a phillips bit, but I'd rather just buy ones that I know will fit properly. That's the key, if it slips once you've messed up the head and likely are on a one way train to drilling it out. If you start out with the properly fitting JIS bit, you can probably get it to spin out especially if using the hand impact. You can usually find a kit that will have several common sizes in it. I got mine from a motorcycle shop and originally used them for taking the side cases off of an old Suzuki I had.

I'd be nervous getting a cassette from a junkyard that it would have the same issue. You can take a look at the color of the cables for a bit of a clue, new is white with the lithium grease the factory supplies them with. As they get rusty and old they tend to turn brown. But if you're diving in this deep, new is a much better guarantee.

I really with we had first hand experience on the forum of someone buying the cables and guide and successfully fitting them to an 03+. I'm not sure if the design changed over the years, or in what way if it did.

Just let me know if you have any other questions or get stuck as you go, happy to help.

Just in the process of doing mine, but I'm having a problem with the motor. It works but was gummed up so I had to disassemble it to clean it out and now I'm having trouble getting it properly reassembled. I've lined up the arrows on the two moving plates inside of it with the arrow on the outer plate but when I attached the roof to the car and turned it out it didn't work properly. Has any body had the same problem?
BTW the 3 parts cost me $1036 at the local dealership! Choke!
Was 100% unable to get the old cable extracted from the old tubes after much effort.
Ned

Ned: I'd like to know how you got it back into the truck without successfully extracting the old drive cables. (I was also unable to extract the old drive cables after trying *really* hard.)

EDIT: I think I misunderstood. Sounds like you were able to get the drive cables out of the frame, but not out of the casing. Right? I wish I had gotten that far :/

If you think the motor is the problem, you may want to consider starting over and getting one on eBay. I see several right now in the $100-$150 range.

Last edited:
Dack- Since I couldn't get the frozen cable out of the copper cable guide tube cases I had to completely dismantle the entire assembly on each side of the sunroof frame and pulled the cables and tubing out from the front. It was a pain and I tried to be careful. I did one side and left the opposite side intact so I could use it as a model but discovered once I had received the new parts that I really didn't have to be so careful since you get most of the parts new that you need. Not sure if any of that makes sense but just do your best to disassemble it. I discovered that some of the old plastic parts had broken (the plastic tail-end part of each cable) but you get new ones with the new cable so it didn't make any difference. Be careful with the new plastic parts on the cables as they are fragile and I broke one pin! You won't be able to save the cable guide cases as I think the old cable is literally impossible to get out, so order a new one.
I'm having trouble synchronizing the motor with the cables. Cables are simple to synchronize but my motor seems to be slightly different than as shown in the FSM. This thing has taken me a week so far but I've been slowly plugging along. Luckily it rarely rains in Phoenix!
Hope this helps.
Ned

I wish I could help on the motor front. Since mine was stuck closed, I just didn't touch the motor and it was already clocked to the proper position. I think you can pull the motor with the cassette in the truck if I'm remembering correctly. If so, can you pull the motor out and bump the switch in a guess and check method until it ends up allowing the full range of motion? I'm sure there is probably a procedure similar to the window motor/regulator to get the auto open and close working again too. I'll try to take a peek at my FSM this afternoon to see if it has anything to say about it. What year is your truck @nodaksn3 ?

From the 99 FSM, I don't think this tells us anything that hasn't already been tried, but good visual for those who haven't seen it. This is the entirety of the alignment/adjustment procedure. There was no mention of any other process, so if it were me and I couldn't see the motor alignment marks. I think I'd unbolt the motor from the cassette and plug it into the harness, then press the roof closed switch until it stopped and then maybe back off just a hair, reinstall and see if it works, or at least is closer.

image_67191553.JPG

image_50411777.JPG

image_50415873.JPG

Mine was popped up for this past week after I hit the button for it instead of the dome light. Ran an errand at lunch and fiddled with the button again for the 50th time and the damn thing shut. Disconnecting the buttons tonight, was a bit breezy this past week. I think the thaw today let something loose.

What worked for me…
1) Drop motor, but leave switch plugged in.
2) Open sunroof evenly to 2-7/8” from the rear metal opening to the front of the forward rubber gasket.
3) Hit/release the slide open button until the motor no longer spins (should once or twice)
4) Hit close button
5) Hit open button once
6) Mount motor back in place.
7) Feel satisfied at a job well done after everything works as it should.

Last edited:
Quick question. Anyone know for sure that these part numbers will work with 2004 and up? I am assuming that they do, however that is a LARGE assumtion. I was about to pull the trigger on the parts and want as much evidence as possible.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I am 99.9% sure the 3 98-02 parts listed by @dbfw (the OP) will work in your 04.

What I am 100% sure of is that a full 98-02 assembly will work in a 03-07. I just did it for $200 from car-part.com. I would encourage you to investigate this route and see what's in your area. In my case the entire assembly -- cassette, glass, motor -- was in one piece. I plugged it in and it just worked. Opens and closes in 6 seconds flat just like the FSM spec (and now I have spare glass). Compare this with the expense of the parts (and shipping), the hassle @dbfw well details, the risk of you not lining stuff up right ... it's at least worth seeing what's out there. You might even find a 03-07 assembly :)

Good luck.

(NB: The 98-02 and 03-07 assemblies ARE definitely different. I'll post pics soon. There is no headliner velcro on the 98-02, and no 2nd bar with a block of headliner foam that I am pretty sure makes no difference.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom