How to restore FST doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am working on taking mine apart . IT is slow with the rusted screws. Ordered my new Soft Top and got fabric to do the doors that is from the same run of fabric from the mill so the colors will match. Am looki forward to a new look.

Oh the other thing FJ40 is my daughter has a fiance who is a professional welder. So my body work- rust- issues will be fixed!

All-
Based on a request from a separate thread, I will be developing a how-to thread on restoring the factory soft-top door. To get things rolling, I would appreciate some feedback on what to cover. Here's what I am thinking so far:
  • Disassembly of the door
  • Component repair
  • Preparing components for refinishing
  • Assembly and tips
  • Parts: sourcing, availability and options
What else should we cover?

Thanks,

Dave
Really really hoping you still sell the rubber for these doors, let me know. I'd love to order a set. Thank you.

If you haven't already, send Dave a PM as he might not get an alert for your reply to this thread.
I also sent him a pm, was just posting on here as well. Just wanted to cover both ways, Thanks for the advice though.

Dave's window rubbers (and other products) are top notch and worked great for my FST door restore!
That is awesome to hear! Im super excited, i just really hope he still makes them. You have any pics up on here? Id love to finally be able to get my fst doors done so i can install my soft top i bought like 3 years ago. Who did you purchase your softtop through?

That is awesome to hear! Im super excited, i just really hope he still makes them. You have any pics up on here? Id love to finally be able to get my fst doors done so i can install my soft top i bought like 3 years ago. Who did you purchase your softtop through?

I acquired a soft top second hand (was still new) from a local club member years ago. It was one of Jim's tops. If buying one today I would go with Trollhole top.

Hey guys - I haven't had time to visit Mud lately. Anyone need the fixed window weather stripping for the factory soft-top doors?. Please send me a message. Apologies if I missed an inquiry.

Thanks

Step 3: Remove the window frame for the slider window. The window frame is mounted to the door frame with six Phillips head screws (2 long ones- 20MM that hold the bottom of the frame to the door and also hold the bottom window cushion/block in place (see pic) and 4 10MM screws that have a split washer. Again - soak these with penetrant and gently work them out if they are rusted.
View attachment 1600256

Step 4: Remove the door weather strip channel. If you have not already, remove the rubber weatherstripping that wraps around the entire door. This weatherstripping can be sourced new, so unless yours is in perfect shape, do not worry about damaging this as it is at least 40 years old if original. Hit all of the screws underneath the W/S with penetrant for a couple of days.

Next is the process of removing the 40 screws that attach the W/S channel to the door frame. If your doors are like many others, about 30 or so of the screws will come out easily. The ones on the bottom of the door are usually the problem. Over time water collects in the bottom of the door and rust these little screws out. They disintegrate or strip as soon as you put a screwdriver on them. In this case, I carefully drill-off the head so that the weatherstripping channel can be removed. I use a 13/64 bit at very low speed to clear the rest of the head, but stop short of widening the hole in the metal w/s channel. The goal here is to clear the channel of anything that may bind it against the door frame. Once these screws are cleared remove the lower U-shape portion of the channel. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE CHANNEL OVER ANY REMAINING SCREW HEAD OR OTHER CORROSION THAT MAY BIND IT TO THE DOOR. We want this piece as undisturbed as possible, which includes the surface that lays against the door frame.
Where can I source the door weatherstripping you mention that can be bought new? I already bought your wing window gaskets and they are amazing quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom