How to restore flexible trim around the door openings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DamoPeru

SILVER Star
Threads
The light coloured flexible trim that sits on the steel edges around my door openings is filthy. Anyone had any luck cleaning them with particular chemicals? So far I've only tried non destructive methods like soaking in detergent for weeks, alcohol and using a bit of elbow grease, but i can't remove the underlying grime that seems impregnated in the plastic like material. Any suggestions for the next attempt?

They other alternative is to buy new, which i would do in black or something that goes with the new oak interior trim... anyone here sell that stuff?

I used SEM Color Coat on the bits that hadn't totally fallen apart on my truck. Match wasn't perfect in my case (darker gray, actually prefer it), but it still looks literally brand new 6mo later.

I used SEM Color Coat on the bits that hadn't totally fallen apart on my truck. Match wasn't perfect in my case (darker gray, actually prefer it), but it still looks literally brand new 6mo later.
Painted in situ i presume, or is it super flexible?

try Domestos or a spray mould remover for outdoor furniture.
Because I changed colour I used a rattle can plastic primer on first from supercheap or an auto shop. It’s flexible. Then light coat of 2pac so it didn’t have too much buildup and crack. I’m sure single pack would be fine, just scuffs easier.
What’s this about a new oak interior ??

Looking at the list of prohibited items for import into Peru....is there anything you can import??? Looks like everything is banned.

But anyways, I have used simple green on my own trim with great results. My trim color is grey though.

In olden times I would have used Westleys Bleche-White but another company bought them out and the latest formula is not as good. The trim would have to be off the truck because the chemical tends to eat things.

Meguires Hot Wheel and Tire Cleaner seems to work like the old stuff did.

Have a look on ebay for a product called "pinchweld". It's the door trimming I assume you're talking about and you can get it in a variety of colours (and shades). My HZJ75 takes approx. 4 meters to cover the entire perimeter of the door without cutting. You can also get pinchweld with a side bulb to seal it a bit better.

Looking at the list of prohibited items for import into Peru....is there anything you can import??? Looks like everything is banned.
yes, and now even liberty is banned, along with common sense... Hopefully in the near future when I'm no longer under house arrest my name here can be changed to DamoTassie

Have a look on ebay for a product called "pinchweld". It's the door trimming I assume you're talking about and you can get it in a variety of colours (and shades). My HZJ75 takes approx. 4 meters to cover the entire perimeter of the door without cutting. You can also get pinchweld with a side bulb to seal it a bit better.
nice, thanks mate, I found some identical black trim on amazon i can get reshipped here... might just do that and be done with it to save time prepping and painting (with the paint i can't get anyway).

If I had known that I would have sold you my brown interior as I am switching to the blue/grey. The only part that would not have worked is the dash. Oh well.

Sorry for the hijack, @coldtaco do you still have the brown interior parts? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom