How to remove oil filter without spilling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Does anyone have a trick on how to remove the oil filter without spilling oil all over? As soon as I start rotating the oil filter, oil flows out making a mess on both the engine and the floor because you cannot predict on what surfaces the oil will run.

Lucas

Put a waste tank under it, remove the oil filter and buy a can of breake cleaner, ideal to remove oil spillings, the oil dissoleves... (Is this correctly ritten??)

I use a Rubbermaid tub. It is much bigger than a regular drain pan and will allow the oil to drip into that instead of the floor. I also use cardboard under the drain pan. I usually keep a large sheet just for this purpose.

I use my old towels and place these around the filter before i crack it.

I also use brake clean after i change the oil and put a new filter on.

Doesn't get everything but almost all and its easy to clean up.

Cheers

John

the newer 1hzs have a catch can system. I am currently looking into getting some...

The last time I changed my oil I punched two holes in my filter and let it sit overnight after a long drive.
In the morning I took it off and not a single drop spilled.

What engine are you talking about ? ....... include this in your signature ... , all should do it!

Anyway, I have a 3B with the up-side-down oil filter (post-85) and I found that left my LC without running for 2 days ensure that oil flowed almost completely in the engine, thereby preventing oil from flowing on the ground.

In addition to the drain pan, I put a folded newspaper undeneath the filter

The only way not to spill oil when you change it, is to have someone else do it!:p

To spill the least amount of oil, install a remote filter assembly..

Seriously, When changing oil, it should be done when the engine is up to temperature, and has just been shut off - that way the maximum amount of crap is in suspension in the used oil, and you get the most that you possibly can out of the engine.. If you don't come close to burning your hand when you pull the plug, you aren't doing it right!
You can then wait to pull the filter when the engine has cooled down, that's fine, BUT DRAIN THE PAN HOT!!

Letting the engine sit and cool off before the pan is drained lets all the particulate settle out to the bottom of the pan, and then pollute the fresh oil you just put in.

If you don't believe me, next time drain the oil hot, and then pour the waste oil into second container. Observe the amount of crap left behind in the first container.
Then let your waste oil sit a couple days and then pour the oil off again - Observe how much more crap is left behind in the bottom of the bucket.

If there isn't a dramatic difference, you didn't need to change your oil in the first place.

I use a piece of 4" pipe cut longways like a rain gutter about 20 inches long and 2 inches in depth. Dill a small hole on one end for a tie wire and place the pipe/shute under the filter. Tie it in place so that it's at an angel over the prop shaft into your oil drain pan or bucket. the oil should run down the pipe into the pan. Works for me. No more oil on the diff or yoke.

Letting the engine sit and cool off before the pan is drained lets all the particulate settle out to the bottom of the pan, and then pollute the fresh oil you just put in. .

Jim .. tha's horrible to ear .. I love and care my engines but there is no way I'm going to fight with a hot engine and engine bay ..

Ahh this is where the 1KZ series engines rock... The oil filter is upside-down...However !
It sits in a casting with a drain and drain tube.
Just put a can under the tube.. Make sure the drain is clear of mud....(Very important)
Turn the filter off a little bit until it starts to leak and then come back in a few mins....
All the oil drains out into the casting, down the tube and into the can....

Do it on the neighbours lawn, then use their hose as you wash the degreaser your sprayed all over the engine bay to clean up, off.

On an old series I had there was a built in pan on the filter head that stopped most of the spill. I am currently looking for one for my HZJ78....

Chris

What engine are you talking about ? ....... include this in your signature ... , all should do it!

Anyway, I have a 3B with the up-side-down oil filter (post-85) and I found that left my LC without running for 2 days ensure that oil flowed almost completely in the engine, thereby preventing oil from flowing on the ground.

I have a Hiace with a 2L engine. The oil filter is fitted to the engine like the 1HZ engine: horizontally away from the engine block.

I have heard about the trick about punching holes in the oil filter can and wait 12 hours. Is this because there is a pressure valve inside the filter?

Lucas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom