How to protect wire harness near EGR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
What in the hell was Toyota thinking? It's almost as if the entire engine, harness, and whole works was designed and then someone said...hey, we have to put an EGR valve in there for the American market....looks like this is the only place it will fit...RIGHT NEXT TO A MAIN WIRING HARNESS.

Oh well, we'll just of wrap it up.

I can't believe it. Everything is so well thought out, so overbuilt and then this... I mean for crying out loud, they couldn't have moved the harness a few inches to the left?

...so what is the most common fix for this? I see that some people wrap header tape. I have some starter heat wrap and some sticky heat tape and I'm thinking of using that. What concerns me is that whatever I use will have to touch that EGR pipe, so I'm not sure how hot that pipe really gets and if regular heat tape will work or if I really do need something designed for contact with headers.

At least the factory harness and "heat" wrap appears to still be intact.

Any thoughts?
EGR valve.jpg

Luckily I caught mine just as the start from stop "hesitation's" started.

Wrapped the wires with self-sealing silicone tape from 3M which is rated to something like 354 degrees and finished the job with a good wrap of Stainless Steel mesh tape, these products are simple to work with and readily available.

Nothing fancy, just wrap, protect your wrap from the pipe, finish off by sercuring the SS mesh into your existing harness clip.

I may be wrong but as the SS mesh protects the silicone tape wrap it should also disapate heat.

Nice work!

Is that just regular heat reflective tape like you can buy at home depot? I have a few rolls for my intake insulation experiment. Basically just stickly aluminium foil. I like the idea of wrapping other parts of the engine compartment and engine harness, but I think this the actual spot where the harness almost touches the EGR needs a little more protection, maybe?

I have some thermo-tec starter heat shield material and I'm thinking of using that combined with the aluminum foil tape. Also try to relocate the harness a little bit to the left if that's doable at all.

Ironicly, the factory heat shield material is held on by a factory plastic zip tie.

The heat reflective tape I bought was about $25 per 20 foot roll. I used a bunch of it throughout the engine bay--AC line going from high pressure side to the firewall, AC wire, other "heat" exposed areas. You can buy the tape from Summit Racing or from a racing shop or tuning shop.

I also just got rid of my EGR system completely to make things easier on me.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom